This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Reforming Plant Killer In Portland Or

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jpkara, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jpkara

jpkara New Member

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    Hi. Getting back into keeping fish after a 40 year hiatus. It's my first time with a planted tank and I'm trying to make all my mistakes up front

I have a 40b with EcoComplete and about thirty "beginner" plants that I'm coming close to converting to mulm. EcoComplete turns out not to be as complete as I thought so am finally dosing some dry fertilizer in an attempt to bring some plants back from the brink.

My first lesson is that it's not a Walstad tank if it doesn't have dirt.

I'm excited to learn how to keep plants AND fish alive at the same time.

Jpkara

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Phishless and Christophe like this.
  2. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    10:36 AM
    Welcome Jpkara :)

jpkara likes this.
  3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Member

Local Time:
    10:36 AM
    Welcome :)

jpkara likes this.
  4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:36 AM
    Hello jpkara. Welcome to the forum. Hope you find all the information you need here. Have a look in the article section, especially the pinned ones.

jpkara likes this.
  5. Kaldurak

Kaldurak New Member

Local Time:
    Good morning from Vancouver Washington, Portland's Hat! We'll probably see each other at The Wet Spot!

Just signed up today after lurking for years.

jpkara likes this.
  6. jpkara

jpkara New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Jason

7. jpkara

jpkara New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! Will do.

Allwissend likes this.
  8. jpkara

jpkara New Member

Local Time:
    Hey kaldurak, I was wondering if there were any lfs worth the drive to Vancouver but sounds like you come this way. Anything I should check out up there?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

9. Kaldurak

Kaldurak New Member

Local Time:

Nope, just petsmarts and petcos. Portland has all the good stores. Only thing in Vancouver is a person who sells cherry shrimp on Craigslist cheaper than The Wet Spot, but there are several portlanders who sell various grades of cherry and crystal reds as well.

10. jpkara

jpkara New Member

Local Time:
    So I'm writing this to help organize my thoughts as well as invite any advice and/or feedback.

I've read through the articles about setting specific goals for one's tank and that really helped. I realize I read a lot of different sources and got lots of different opinions but they were from people espousing different methods and I didn't have the knowledge to see that they had different goals.

My goal is to have a bright, clear, planted community display tank with moderate maintenance demands - maybe weekly water changes and plant trimming - that I can sit and stare at without being distracted by what's wrong with it.

So, now that I'm several weeks into the decline of my tank I'd like to start somewhat fresh and commit to a high-tech tank. Here's what I have:

Equipment:
    • 40 gallon breeder
    • about 80 lbs of eco complete
    • a bunch of boiled rock from my yard
    • 2 pieces of "Malaysian Driftwood" that are still staining my water even after 6 weeks of soaking with daily water changes
    • 2 150 watt Aqueon Pro heaters
    • 2 Aqueon 30 filters
    • 1 Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 light
    • 1 Nicrew Light (not used)

plants:
    • 8 anubias nana petite
    • 2 java ferns
    • 2 anubia barteri,
    • 1 unknown anubia
    • 3 dwarf sag
    • a soccer ball size clump of hornwort
    • about 6 stems of cabomba,
    • 1 crypt wendtii,
    • 3 small clumps of micro sword and
    • few square inches of dwarf baby tears.
    • also in my quarantine tank are 3 amazon swords and 3 clumps of valisneria and a bunch of hornwort.
    stock:
    • 6 black neon tetras
    • 2 juvenile Koi angels
    • 1 remaining julii cory (2 died)
    • 10 nerite snails
    coming soon:
    CO2 from a friends unused kegerator (rare in Portland) with a regulator. I need to buy the post body kit.​

Maintenance:

Since I realized I was starving my plants due to excess light and no CO2 i cut the light to the minimum setting on the fluval - I have no idea what level that would be considered
    i have done a week of dosing with Flourish and 5ml daily of AquariumFertilizer's macro mix (middle of the road dosing according to their recommended rates) but don't know if thats useful in the
    absence of co2.
    Water parameters: 0-0-20, kh 4deg, gh 7deg, ph 7.6-7.8 76deg F

I don't know how to characterize my aesthetic so I'll attach a picture of how I started out below. I like the driftwood but not the tannins

I'm kind of stuck on how to get from where I am to where I want to go. I'd like to preserve the plants and fish that I have but it will be a couple of weeks before the CO2 equipment shows up. From what I've read a tank can go from clear to socked in with algae in a matter of a couple of days.

Should I just shut down the lights, stop dosing and wait for the co2 hoping that the plants can recover?
    Should I move all the plants and fish to the quarantine tank (10gal) and start fresh with the 40?
    Should I grab some Flourish Excel from the lfs and try that until the CO2 comes on line?

this tank with the carpet plants fully formed is kinda where I was hoping to be:

tank-new.jpg

Greggz likes this.