This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

reduce light intensity by raising light fixture? Inquiry from the Emerald Isle

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Johnmescal, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:46 AM
    Hi All........

I am setting up a low tech tank after having tried co2 with limited and varying success over the last two years,

my tank is a 60l (15g) opti white , the lighting fixture is a 36w compact flourescent like this....

http://www.greenaqua.hu/en/odyssea-kompakt-36w-lampa-6500k-plant.html?nosto=nosto-page-search1

what I am wondering is if I can reduce light intensity sufficiently for low tech if I suspend the fixture high enough and perhaps remove the reflector?

I was looking for some space over the top anyway as i intend to have hardscape breaking the surface for some emergent plant growth, I will probably be dosing once a week with macros and seachem eq as outlined in Toms excellent write up on low tech/non co2 tanks......

any feedback greatly appreciated

John

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sounds like it should work. Your emergent plant growth will also help by shading things below.

3. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks for that feed back Cristophe.......

Will try 24 inches from substrate to start and begin with 5 hrs and see how things settle..... I love your tank photos btw......are you running co2 in there? (couldnt see a drop checker)

4. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I inject CO2, but use a pH monitor in the sump. I found a drop checker too slow and hard to read to be useful.

5. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    lovely tank...well done

6. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! Get some pics of yours up here as you get it going!

7. Adam Edmond

Adam Edmond Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Proper installation of your new lights is something that will give you options for adjustment later. When planning your mounting,allow yourself the ability to raise and lower lights if possible.Raising and lowering the light will allow you to adjust the coverage of the tank and the intensity of the light in the tank. You will need this ability later.

But you got a recommendable tank. I hope everything match out as expected.

8. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks for those words of advice Adam.......

will definitely work towards an adjustable light hanger to maintain control, will post a few pics when I get the show on the road........ I made the mistake of rushing the planning and layout in previous tanks.....going to take my time with this one!