reduce light intensity by raising light fixture? Inquiry from the Emerald Isle

Johnmescal

Subscriber
Oct 30, 2016
Hi All........

I am setting up a low tech tank after having tried co2 with limited and varying success over the last two years,

my tank is a 60l (15g) opti white , the lighting fixture is a 36w compact flourescent like this....

http://www.greenaqua.hu/en/odyssea-kompakt-36w-lampa-6500k-plant.html?nosto=nosto-page-search1

what I am wondering is if I can reduce light intensity sufficiently for low tech if I suspend the fixture high enough and perhaps remove the reflector?

I was looking for some space over the top anyway as i intend to have hardscape breaking the surface for some emergent plant growth, I will probably be dosing once a week with macros and seachem eq as outlined in Toms excellent write up on low tech/non co2 tanks......

any feedback greatly appreciated

John

Johnmescal

Subscriber
Oct 30, 2016
Thanks for that feed back Cristophe.......

Will try 24 inches from substrate to start and begin with 5 hrs and see how things settle..... I love your tank photos btw......are you running co2 in there? (couldnt see a drop checker)

Adam Edmond

Junior Poster
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Proper installation of your new lights is something that will give you options for adjustment later. When planning your mounting,allow yourself the ability to raise and lower lights if possible.Raising and lowering the light will allow you to adjust the coverage of the tank and the intensity of the light in the tank. You will need this ability later.

But you got a recommendable tank. I hope everything match out as expected.

Johnmescal

Subscriber
Oct 30, 2016
Thanks for those words of advice Adam.......

will definitely work towards an adjustable light hanger to maintain control, will post a few pics when I get the show on the road........ I made the mistake of rushing the planning and layout in previous tanks.....going to take my time with this one!