This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Red Slime Algae; my newest advisary...

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by ShadowMac, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:24 AM
    Hello all,

My heavily planted 37 gallon has been going along well, growth has been great and I am very happy with everything...except for one eyesore that has been getting a foothold. A red algae that resembles BGA in texture and appearance. I have some clado in my hairgrass, but it is not an eyesore and easily removed.

Control of the red algae has been difficult. It grows on my rocks, filter intake, koralia pump, and older leaves. Primarily on large green leaves on anubias, hygrophilia difformis, bolbitus, hygro corymbosa "compact". It seems to prefer higher flow areas.

My control efforts have consisted of removing infected leaves and a bleach dip for equipment parts. I don't seem to be winning. CO2 seems to be at good levels as there is no stunting in my rotala; fish go to the surface with addition of more. A drop checker would be yellow, pH drop from around 7.4 to 6.2 during the day. I know they are not perfect measurements, but references. Other than the red algae all other signs show adequate CO2.

Tank info:

lighting: 2x24W T5HO's on from 9am til 8pm; an LED burst from 2-4 pm. Flow/filtration: eheim 2217 and koralia 1. pressurized CO2 through inline atomizer. ADA aquasoil, EI dosing

My plan of attack this weekend will be aggressive.

I will remove any leaf I find with the algae. I will directly apply a solution of excel and water to adjacent leaves with a syringe.

Toothbrush rocks (any suggestion on something to give the toothbrush some more bite, it does not remove the rock algae well)

I will reduce light period to 11 am on and 8 pm off. When reducing my light I do get concerned that the stems start to bend toward
    the window across the room where daylight comes in. Is it possible it could cause strange growth? or funny looking plants? I prefer to have
    the light come on later as opposed to off earlier. I may not get to see it otherwise. :*(

I will dose twice recommended excel dose in hopes to kill anything I miss.

I have a UV sterilizer, would this be a good idea to connect for the time being?

A large water change 60%-80%

Other approaches?

Please educate me on this algae. My searching has only turned up BBA, and similar algaes. This is NOT BBA nor filamentous. It is very stubborn.

I will post pictures soon. I can also post a graph of my pH change over the course of a week to see if CO2 is stable and appropriate, or at least give us a "best guess".

Other helpful information? Video of the tank at work?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Every algae that is related to BGA, essentialy being bacteria, responds well to a three day blackout, which will ensure total eradication with very low effort. A UV sterilizer can help, provided the flow through the UV has the right dwell time. if it's a BGA related algae, you should be able to rub it off very easy.

If it's stuck, feels like you didn't shave and it looks like the algae in the link you provided, it could be a Rhodophyta species, which is related to low CO2. Sometimes I think that low PO4 also plays a role.

#3 dutchy, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time: