This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Red Mangroves in Freshwater

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by londonloco, Apr 3, 2006.

1. londonloco

londonloco Junior Poster

I'm going to add some red mangroves to my brackish and reef, and have read they will "tolerate freshwater". Acclaimation can be a pain, but if it's possible I'd love to try some on my discus tank. Anyone here have any information on mangroves in freshwater?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Red Mangroves in Freshwater

Not much, you might try Black mangrove or some of the more upland less salt tolerant types. They grow faster and are easier in many ways to care for.

I've grown a number of the Reds in my window sill in pots without drain holes in saturated water and I always added some salt here and there. TYhey grow fairly well and make a nice house plant if they get good light.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. londonloco

londonloco Junior Poster

Re: Red Mangroves in Freshwater

Read up on this last night. Careful pruning is needed to ensure proper growth patterns, and to keep the mangrove at a proper height. You want the roots to grow for nutrient export. They are very slow growers, but even so, eventually they will need to be taken out of the aquarium and potted. Some sites say they live 30-40 years, some say up to 70 years. Julian Sprung says red mangroves will adapt to fresh water aquariums, proper acclamation is a must. Several days in a bucket gradually lowering the salinity level to zero. I'm going to try it, I can get 10 red mangrove "seedlings" shipped to me for the price of one in an LFS. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I also have a line on a site that carries black mangroves. Of course, they are out of stock. :rolleyes: