This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Horwort

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by barbarossa4122, Sep 6, 2010.

1. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Hi,

Some nice guy gave a few beautiful plants including some gorgeous red Hornwort. I have never seen red Hornwort before and I was wondering if this is "normal".

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Floating Weed, Found All Over The Place.

Hi,

I assume Red Hornwort is a variant of Ceratophyllum demersum, a floating weed. Many place a weight on a bundle and use it as a submerged plant. A word of warning is that anything stuck into the substrate will die and rot. These guys can generate a lot of plant waste and be a pollution problem.

It grows rapidly an inch (2.5cm) a day is normal.

They are said to produce a substance that inhibits algae, I do not know about that. :rolleyes:

Biollante

3. barbarossa4122

Hi Bio,

I keep all my Hornwort the way you described it, tied up to small rocks and yeah, it grows fast. I only keep the crypts, the swords,the wisteria and the rotalas deep in the substrate . My wife noticed that the red Hornwort is starting to get a little green here and there, probably due to the lack of pressurized co2 but, I will enjoy looking at it while it remains red.

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Red Hornwort Likes Nitrates

Hi,

Try increasing Nitrates, NO3, maybe all fertz.:)

Biollante

5. barbarossa4122

Hi,

I use plenty of fertz including Iron. Just tested, nitrates are at 20. Should I bump it up to 40?
    I cut down on po4 since I got rid of bba about 2 wks ago. I only dose about 1ppm 3 times/week for a total of 3ppm/week. I used to dose po4 about 7 or 8 ppm total/week. I have soft water in NYC and I also dose Ca, Mg, Barr's booster and Equilibrium. Also, 4:1:1 solution of csm+b, DTPA and EDHHA(super Iron 138).

#5 barbarossa4122, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  6. barbarossa4122

Hi,

One more Q if I may;

My wife bought 2 large Echinodorus uruguayensis on Saturday and this morning she noticed that 3 or 4 out of about 20 leafs are turning yellow at the tips and in the middle (no pin holes ) while the rest look very healthy. Is this the adjustment period or phosphate and/or nitrate deficiency ? All the other plants are OK.