Red Cyano Please help

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
Cyano seems to be flourishing despite heavy mist.

maybe ecause some inital melting of newly planted grasess, but I don't know if the idea that nutrients lead to cyano is real or just reefer bias

Tom, I have heavy mist, am conducting 50 % water changes every third day. That and what else will help me get the tank under control?

of course I've done as much manual removal as I can, but this is they Cyano from Hell.. it seems to LIKE the mist. and the tank looks like seltzer

since I hve mountain soft water, I have been using tap. Does that break some huge rule .. I know reefers think of it as the kiss of death, but what about for planted marine tanks?

one more thought, the sea grass I planted was a little rattled by the trip, and some of it has melted.. is the attack of cyano from the ammonia of decaying grass (which has been pruned out now).?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Do have UV?
Try that.

NH4 from decaying grass ain't good.
A little is one thing, but not a lot.

Try a black out, they work just like the FW tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
no uv, it's a nano with a skilter. .

trying the black out. and I've yanked all decaying grass (I hope).

any thoughts on tap water for a planted marine tank.. the reefers want 0 solids, but does that stand for planted tanks as well?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Reefers have a lot to lose and lot of fear.
I use tap.
Always have.
I'll run it through a carbon filter etc perhaps.

Note: not all tap is created equal, some is perfect! Some is garbage!
You need to test to see before going this route.

That would the wise thing to say...........

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
I'm blessed with good tap.. but should probably run it thru a little carbon. Thanks Tom. I also found some snails that didnt' make it and got them out of the tank. No detectable ammonia, but I'll assume some is there and being used by the red slime and go the FW route for a few days and do large water changes, less light., decent dosing.

found an aipastasia too growing nestled in my favorite new little macro -- a kind of calcerous ulva.. needless to say api and macro are both gone. Praying it started and ended there.

New adventures in Salt. hoping the rest of the manatee grass and shoal grass makes it.. the tank looks like a walk on the shore line and I love it -- when I beat back the cyano.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I tried the Red slime remover, an antibiotic and Erthryomycin as well.
Beat it back and little, hardly made a dent over a couple of days and then it was back full force.

Vacuum it up good, clean etc, blackout, then add the aeration and add lights back after 3 days.watch the macros and add lights back if they satrt to look weird, the plants ought to be fine though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
Is this a toss a blanket over tank --no room light -- full blackout, or just a keep the lights over the tank off? I actually never had to do this in a fw tank.

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
Full blackout = no light. Not even ambient room light.

I'm interested in how this goes as I'm having trouble with brown filamentous diatoms. They only appear on the macros, not in the substrate or rocks. I sold off the seahorses (not active enough for me) on Friday and this has let me add more flow to the tank. I hope this helps. Would a UV help me battle them?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No, UV's did little to stop diatoms.

I always have those when I got too much PO4, over .5ppm etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
actually the cyano died with ambiant room light, but no light over the tank. What I had failed to pull out, just turned black... we'll see if it comes back tho. I also cranked up the Skilter as Tom suggested. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Blackout works.
I told this to marine reef club group in LA. They had all sorts of algae.

Vac out as much as possible, o the water change, dose some Fe and NO3, add lots of aeration micro bubbles in the tank, then hope.

I think it's more of a good macro growth = poor noxious algae growth dynamic personally.

I could be wrong, but this seems to be the pattern and the lowest picked fruit available.

Regards,
Tom Barr