Red Cherry Shrimps and Goldfish

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi,

I just bought 14 RCS for my wife's 10g(she loves them) and I was thinking of getting some RCS for my other two tanks. The problem is that the other two tanks are home to my big fancy goldies and from what I read it looks like the goldies will eat the RCS. Am I right?

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hi,

Well, i think is good idea, in the point of view of the goldies ;-)

Regards

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
ismenio;57086 said:
Hi,

Well, i think is good idea, in the point of view of the goldies ;-)

Regards

Lol, yeah but I can't even try to see what will happen. Can't even kill a little mouse.

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
I would think fancy goldfish would be too slow to catch them. I have an apisto and about a dozen glowlights that can't seem to catch them, and I know they are much faster than fancy goldfish.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Ekrindul;57096 said:
I would think fancy goldfish would be too slow to catch them. I have an apisto and about a dozen glowlights that can't seem to catch them, and I know they are much faster than fancy goldfish.

Are you sure? Should I give it a try? My 14 rcs will be here on Monday and I'll drop a couple in with the goldies and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentkhiem

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2010
I have fancy goldfish that lived with amano shrimps, and they were both fine. Goldfish didn't eat the tetras either. RCS may be small, but goldfish are more interested in smelly flakes and worms. You might see them try to vacuum up a shrimp from the floor now and then, but it's within its nature to scoop up gravel. IME, RCS were not food for the goldfish.

The question is, how big are your goldfish? :confused:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
agentkhiem;57124 said:
I have fancy goldfish that lived with amano shrimps, and they were both fine. Goldfish didn't eat the tetras either. RCS may be small, but goldfish are more interested in smelly flakes and worms. You might see them try to vacuum up a shrimp from the floor now and then, but it's within its nature to scoop up gravel. IME, RCS were not food for the goldfish.

The question is, how big are your goldfish? :confused:

Hi agentkhiem,

They are 5 1/2" tail included and they do have large mouths.

agentkhiem

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2010
An easy answer would be yes, they will eat it. But I think that's not necessarily true.

Do RCS have a lot of cover? Goldfish might get in their personal space since they do like to pick up substrate. Otherwise they shouldn't become extinct. If you try to breed RCS though, they might mistake it for food.

My Goldfish are pretty friendly, and they can't keep up with shrimp since they waddle.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
agentkhiem;57136 said:
An easy answer would be yes, they will eat it. But I think that's not necessarily true.

Do RCS have a lot of cover? Goldfish might get in their personal space since they do like to pick up substrate. Otherwise they shouldn't become extinct. If you try to breed RCS though, they might mistake it for food.

My Goldfish are pretty friendly, and they can't keep up with shrimp since they waddle.

Hi,

They do have plenty of cover. Nope, I am not going to breed them.