This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Red Cambomba Turning Green

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by rrkss, May 24, 2006.

1. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

Tom is there some secret to keeping red cambomba red under lower light conditions (2 wpg)?

Dosing should not be an issue but you never know. Tank size 29 gallons. CO2 drives the pH from 7.4 to 6.4 daily.

Macros: (Every 2 days)

1/4 Teaspoon KNO3
    1/16 Teaspoon KH2PO4
    1/16 Teaspoon K2SO4

Micros: (Every 2 days opposite day of Macros)

5 mL of Seachem Flourish

Iron: 3 mL daily (Increased from 1 mL after my new cambomba leaves started showing some yellowing. This appears to have solved the problem with the yellowing as the plant greened up within a few hours).

Weekly 50-75% waterchanges.

I read in your Nitrogen Barr Report that if I limit Nitrates, my plants will turn nice and red but this seems dangerous. Is the secret in the lighting or dosages to get red cambomba to stay red. When I bought it it was nice and bright red now it is slowly turning green but still growing just not as fast as the green cambomba.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Red Cambomba Turning Green

Mine stays pretty red at high NO3's.
    Add more traces, GH.

You are a little rich on the KNO3 since you have low light.
    Try 2x a week and feed the fish etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

ok I'll cut the nitrates to 2x a week but keep phosphates and K2SO4 dosing the same. 5 mL of Flourish every 2 days is too little trace nutrients? What would be a better dosage plan then? I forgot to mention that I dose MgSO4 + CaCl2 at 1/2 teaspoon each to raise GH after a waterchange.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

I've consistently had better coloration with most all plants using TMG.
    Red cabomba has colored up strange, very mauve colors and intense pinks.

I can deeper reds with less light, but I like the pinks.
    Same deal with R wallichii but it's less color variable overall.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

One other symptom. My green cambomba has grown over 11 inches since I got it. The red cambomba is barely growing at all. Is this from going to rich on the nitrates?

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Remove the Green one and keep the red, folks will buy and trade for the red, no one will for the green as rule, although it's still a nice looking plant.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

Do I really have to remove the green one to make the red redden up? It is actually one of my favorite plants in the tank.