Red-brown Algae

Joe

Feb 14, 2019
Illinois
Wondering if anyone can identify a reddish brown “algae”?
It’s been growing in some of the rocks in my 55 gallon low tech aquarium? Now it’s starting to spread to driftwood and glass. This is an old set up, at least 5 years probably older.

Joe

Feb 14, 2019
Illinois
Here’s a pic

D9BD6348-01FF-4833-A8E6-EC43DC692A19.jpeg

CRS Fan

Junior Poster
Feb 15, 2010
Vancouver
It looks mostly like Cyanobacteria. Is the rock textured granite? If so I’d say almost certainly so.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe

Feb 14, 2019
Illinois
Thanks Stuart. It is granite, I think (river rock). Brown Cyanobacteria Is new to me. It’s not like the green variety. It’s almost impossible to scrape off. Any ideas about dealing with this?

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
Is there any on the plant? Is it slimy or smelly, which is signature of BGA?. It looks pretty and if it doesnt infest other areas, why not keep it. I have BGA beneath the substrate I can see through the glass in red, blue and green, and I don’t mind.

Joe

Feb 14, 2019
Illinois
Is there any on the plant? Is it slimy or smelly, which is signature of BGA?. It looks pretty and if it doesnt infest other areas, why not keep it. I have BGA beneath the substrate I can see through the glass in red, blue and green, and I don’t mind.
Doesn’t seem to grow on the plants. There is some on the front glass though. I don’t really mind it, but interested to figure out exactly what it is and how to get rid of it if I need to.

Squidhead

Jan 25, 2020
United States
Wondering if anyone can identify a reddish brown “algae”?
It’s been growing in some of the rocks in my 55 gallon low tech aquarium? Now it’s starting to spread to driftwood and glass. This is an old set up, at least 5 years probably older.
Can you post a picture?