Reconsituting RO/DI water

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I am currently playing around with RO/DI water and using the Barr GH Booster to buffer up the gH a bit... I am wondering though if there is a recommended supplement for kH? Is baking soda good? Is there something better out there?

Thanks

Dan

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
No one huh... Well I have heard that many folks just leave their kH at zero. I am wondering what is an ideal kH for fish and plants? I seem to remember reading 4dkH was a good target.

If I do buffer it in I guess baking soda will work. I noticed that Seachem has an alkalinity product, but I am not sure if that would be an equivalent or not.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Kind of up to you and what you'd like top try.

I've done both.
I just blend with tap to get the KH I want, there's no reason not to really, you use RO to remove some KH, not all of it.

I suppose some might want to use it 100% and then know precisely what is in the water etc as far as KH, but that assumes the RO is 100% removal..............and that's not always the case............

Regards,
Tom Barr

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
Plain baking soda is great for upping the KH without influencing the GH. When I used 100% RO water I used plain baking soda all the time.