This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Test Kits

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shoggoth43, Apr 21, 2019.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:07 PM
    I know for the most part I don't need these with EI. However, I'd like to have some idea of just how much is in my tank. What test kits are people using? I have no real way to confirm uptake and if I want to limit some of my nutrients for testing or to see if I can boost reds I have no current way to confirm levels other than seeing stunting or other effects. Most of the kits locally available don't have a precision level I would trust or have a "this shade is 20ppm and this shade is 80ppm" which is useless when I'm trying to hit 5ppm or smaller amounts.

2. Deanna

Deanna New Member

Local Time:
    8:07 AM
    I like to know where I stand and tweak, as well. So, like you, I test. Some I use weekly, others rarely. These are the kits I like:

NO3: Salifert (good precision in the 5-20 ppm range and easy to use - no violent tube shaking)
    PO4: (<=3 ppm): Salifert
    PO4: (>3 ppm) : API
    K: Easy-Life Potassium (good precision in the 5-15 ppm range)
    GH/KH: API (for levels <2 dGH /KH, use 5x the water, then divide results by 5)
    Mg: JBL Freshwater Mg
    Ca: Elos Aqua (use 5x the water and reagent #1, then divide results by 5)
    PH: use a pen such as Apera

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:07 PM
    Cool. I’ll take a look at those. Thanks.