Really At A Loss In Choosing New Substrate For Tank Upgrade

kjs

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 3, 2020
Phoenix,Az
I have a well established 55g pretty heavily planted medium light tank with beginner plants (water sprite, cabomba, hornswort, annubias, java moss, cryptocorne, amazon sword . . . I also have shrimp, fish and a few snails. My tank parameters are ph 6.7, dh 8, kh 6, nitrite and ammonia 0 and nitrate 20. I have CO2 and dose with excel and thrive. I have flourite substrate with root tabs and most everything seems to be doing well.
To my problem. I am desiring to upgrade to a 75g tank and have been exhaustively researching substrate options. The more I read, the less sure I am about what is my best choice. The new tank is going to sit where the existing tank is now. I use eheim filters (2) and have HOB filters available (one is running on the 55g now to ensure it would be available to me). I can take down the 55g and move it across the room and leave my livestock in it while I cycle my 75g if that is needed. I don't want to have to replace substrate in a year or so. I am also very much a novice and can't swear I will get the set up right on the new tank, so things wont have to be moved. I would love to hear what your ideas. Thanks in advance

easternlethal

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Dec 26, 2014
Hong Kong
As long as you don't get confused by all the product advertising there are only really two substrate profiles to choose - deep or shallow. One will need supplementation and the other will not. After that you only need to decide the size and weight of the substrate matter (based on fish and planting needs).

Thats it really.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
If fluorite is working for you then stick with it, don’t fix what isn’t broken. Plus it’s pretty inexpensive!