This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Readily available retail LED lighting any good?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by shoggoth43, Mar 1, 2015.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:00 AM
    Certainly seems like they are up to the task.

2. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes so far so good, I'll update you with the results on the plant growth in a few weeks.. The light had to be placed 22" above the substrate to achieve the coverage of the whole tank without dark dome shaped areas in the two top corners

Current plants used are

Ludwigia sp.Mini Super Red

Rotala macrandra green

Ammania sp. bonsai (rotala?)

Hemianthus Callitrichoide

3. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think I may have some of that Ludwigia kicking around and I'd like to try the baby tears so hopefully you have good results. My tank is probably a little bit deeper but hopefully not enough to swallow up the light output.

4. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I guess we'll find out shorty how they work. Dual A160WEs and controller are on the way. New netted tank tops and lighting mounts may also be in needed.

This should prove interesting...

2 people like this.
  5. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Update:

I did play around with the Kessils a bit. Initially I tried it out quickly this morning by holding it over the tank. There's a noticeable difference all around. Even at the lowest setting it was casting shadows of fish and such on the substrate while the T5HOs were still on. I suspect either my T5s suck ( quite possible ) or it's just the focus of the Kessil punches straight down to the bottom with no trouble whatsoever. This was even through the egg crate lid, which I will be replacing with some sort of netting so that should help as well. Were it not for the odd fish making the odd escape attempt I'd probably skip the lid altogether. I'm sure the cat would learn soon enough not to jump up there.

Visually it's quite a stark difference. The tank looked quite different. It seemed darker, but clearly there is more light heading into the tank compared to before based on the shadows I saw. I would guess they aren't putting out quite as much as the T5's overall, but what I've got is headed DOWN and not in my eyes or lighting up the glass of the tank, which should help with some of the algae issues. The shimmer was quite impressive and something I've never seen in this tank before.

-----------------------

A few weeks later and things are not so good. Not an issue with the lights but something came in on some black phantoms that I did not adequately quarantine for apparently. So far I've lost all the phantoms, black and red, most of the neons and a few glow light tetras. All the apistos are dead. Ottos seem unaffected as does the Angel. Whatever it is has also completely torn through my Cory population however. My multigenerational Panda colony has been nearly destroyed with some Sterbai losses as well. The main filtration I think finally gave up and crashed as the water went cloudy grey and then within a day suddenly the water is green soup.

I am giving serious consideration to tearing the tank down, finally drilling it for the overflow, and then maybe doing the DSM thing while I try to save what is left of my fish in a separate isolation tank. With 1/2 to 2/3 of the fish gone overcrowding in the hospital tank is probably not a concern any more. I may also tear out the Wet/Dry portion and go to submerged sponge filtration instead. I don't think this tank has ever had enough mechanical filtration. I may also be able to finally get rid of all those damned osmocote pellets everywhere.

6. Kathy Yata

Kathy Yata Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Wow, what a disaster! Sad to lose all those home grown corys in particular. Can you have a dead fish cultured to find out what the pathogen is? Some diseases are really persistent aren't they?

Does sound like it is time for a tear down to reset the tank completely. Hope the GW is taking care of the ammonia properly for the surviving fishes' health.

First thing people say when they saw my LEDs rather than the MH over the tank was how much nicer it was in the room. I miss all the spilled light so the room looks much too dark to me. I went from 2 MH pendants @~180* to 5 LED clusters @90* over a 6' tank and it seems just as shadowy, didn't expect that at all.

7. Jason King

Local Time:
    A small update on how the kessils are doing

mARJDnf.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are from a while back after I changed the scape a bit.

2x kessils at 25% for 8 hours a day.

I'll get some updated ones soon.

8. Jason King

Local Time:
    pxnN7EQ.jpg

Last shot of this tank before I rescape..

9. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Jason, the back left corner are Ludwigia sp. "Red"? If so, then the Kessils have very little red spectra.

10. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The kessils definitely don't have huge amount of red. Although looking at the neons it's not as though there isn't any red as they look fine.

The Kessil lighting controller is nice but I've recently hooked them up my Apex for much more control. I'm considering putting some of those car headlight angel eye / halo rings on them with some white LEDs for moonlight and maybe some red and blue for a little color enhancement. But functionally they are perfectly capable of turning the water green at 100% intensity and have been problem free.

-

S