This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Readily available retail LED lighting any good?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by shoggoth43, Mar 1, 2015.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:51 AM
    Are there any decent retail lighting options available? There are the Marineland and Fluval ones but I'm curious if they are any good. This would be for a 4 foot open top tank ~36 inches to the substrate and I'm hoping to get roughly 50 par on the substrate. I'm not sure what options would exist for dimming but I can always raise the lights. Currently I've got 2 4 foot T5 HO lamps and it's just not cutting it. However, as my electric rates just jumped up 40%+ I think it's time to head over to the LEDs. I'm not opposed to swapping some blue LEDs out if people have recommendations on decent ones.

I'm finding I don't really have the time for extensive projects so LED swaps are fine, but building a whole unit from scratch won't really be an option, nor would a 600$ lighting rig but 3-400$ might work.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

-

S

2. Monk

Monk Junior Poster

Local Time:
    36"s is kind of high for LED.

3. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well, the tank is 24". I don't NEED the light to be at 12" over the water's surface, but it looks nice at that height. As long as it can support the weight of a 12lb cat it can go lower.

4. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd imagine you will need a couple of fixtures to achieve this depending on the beam angles, the gurus will confirm that.

Some suggestions based on your budget are buildmyled or finnex plus.

5. Monk

Monk Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The Finnex should give you around 30 PAR. I would suggest looking at BML.

6. Donald Cutler

Donald Cutler Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Here is my 55 before giving the DHG a haircut. I read some good reviews and some bad reviews (mostly because of price) on Kessil, but here it is: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...ictureid=76057

Hopefully the link works. I basically decided on the Kessil so that the top would be unobstructed. I have a DIY screen top, EcoComplete substrate, and my aquascaping is very simple. Nothing really extraordinary, but the DHG is really doing well.

My intent here is not to advertise for Kessil, but just to show that they will penetrate the water of a tank as deep as yours. As Monk stated above, A nice BML fixture will probably suit your needs well.

#6 Donald Cutler, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  7. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Green Element EVO Quad 3w LED, 48". You may need two depending on the width of the tank.

8. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks guys. I'll take a look.

-

S

9. qingwen

qingwen Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Spectrum of the Green Element isnt very good. it isnt able to grow red plants though.

10. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Currently I'm waiting to hear back from finnex and BML. We'll see what they come up with.

11. Bloomer

Bloomer Lifetime Members

Local Time:
    Finnex Fuge Ray Planted + are bright and narrow enough that 4 of them can be mounted side by side to a 12 in deep (not tall!) tank. They grow plants well, but IMO don't have very good color rendition, washed out looking. I have a few current usa satellite plus' that I don't like except in very short tanks or for adding tint to a different light. Not sure what the higher end LED's are like now. They're all much better than just a few years ago, but T5's still work out better for me.

12. SouthFL

SouthFL Junior Poster

Local Time:
    If you add 2 of the same led lighting to a tank will the PAR value be double? Or close to double?

13. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not necessarily double. Some fixtures will give you some Par directly under the LED but little off to the sides. Other graphs seem to indicate you might get useful PAR in deeper tanks that a single fixture might not give you.

Sadly BML has been a black hole for email unless I follow that up with multiple phone calls. The 10 day lead time is not what I was hoping for but doable. Really I'm just not up for playing phone tag with them any more so I probably have to look elsewhere. Apparently they're busy enough with other orders so they don't really need my money. No biggie.

I guess I'll check with Finnex and barring that option may just grab one of the new Marineland units as I could at least buy it now and be done with it.

14. jemco

jemco New Member

Local Time:
    IMO forget about BML. Here's a reply I recently posted in " Lighting suggestions":

Back in December I went with 2 fixtures for my 120gallon, rear - 6300K XB 90 degree beam angle, front - 10,000k XB w/same beam angle. Since then I've had nothing but problems with quality of product. 1st, when I got 6300k fixture it wouldn't work so I had to wait 2weeks for another fixture PLUS cable from power supply to outlet was "frayed", then had problem with Solunar controller, so they emailed me a flash firmware update. when I downloaded it it crashed my computer so I had to send the controller back to them for the update. Then in January I had a problem with the front fixture and had to send that back for a new one. While waiting for that I emailed them and told them to change the beam angle from 90 to 75 degrees. They responded with an email acknowledging the change. Guess what after 2 weeks I received the fixture with 90 instead of 75 beam angle. After being so fed up I sent a very stern email to co-founder Nick Klause and within a week recieved the right beam angled fixture. Everything was going fine after that until a few days ago when I started having problems with the 6300k fixture not turning on unless I "jiggled" the wiring. Now they are sending me a new power supply and light. TBH their quality control sucks. Their customer service is great. I only wish their products were as good as their cust. serv. If I had to do all over again I would have went with the MaxSpecht Razor 300w 8000k led lighting fxture.

Try either Kessil's or Maxspecht Razor LED's ( Maxsp. is a little pricey but very good quality - they are made by Zetlight which use the best led's out there)

15. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'll admit the Kessil's look nice although cable management may be an issue. It would have been nice if all the interfaces were on the power supply for simplicity.

16. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    So does anyone have any experience with the Kessil lights, or pendants in general?

They are recommending 3-4 lights for highest growth which seems like overkill. 2 pendants seems more reasonable and wattage would be a little less than the dual T5 HO I have now but seems like a reasonable starting point. More than 2 would rapidly become visual clutter. 3 could be possible but I see no reason to put a light over the center brace and 1 pendent per 14" would be damned crowded.

Thoughts?

17. Aquarist

Aquarist Junior Poster

Local Time:
    According to Kessil their lamps are good for a 24 square inch area. I am thinking about trying out two of the A160 Tuna Suns for my 75 gallon. If you order from Bulk Reef Supply I hear they have an excellent return policy so you can order two, see if you like them and if not you can return them.

18. Rob Muller

Rob Muller Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Take a look at the Current Satellite Plus Pro LED's. I dont have PAR data but they are incredibly bright and 24 hour programmable. I just got one for my 60P and I may have to dim it down.

19. Jason King

Local Time:
    The kessils are fine for a 60x45x45 tank if you don't mind the light leaking from the sides, the cables are not to bad once placed along the gooseneck.

Full power

Minimum power

Excuse the cloudy water the images were taken after setup with a phone camera..

View attachment 10191

View attachment 10192

View attachment 10193

rps20150415_214806.jpg

rps20150415_214939.jpg

rps20150415_214847.jpg

20. Jason King

Local Time: