reactor ?

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
if i have a DIY reactor made from 2' PVC that 13" tall, with 3 bubble per second of co2 going to it and an ehiem pumping some (rated)200 GPH through it , would pumping more water through it with an additional pump give a higher concentration of co2 in the tank?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

That is a nice size reactor. More flow will help I think, but a higher bubble rate may also be needed :)

Is the ehiem powering anything else or is it dedicated to the reactor?

Also, what size inlet/outlet are you using???

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
ehiem is dedicated, and is 1/2 inpvc in and out. after exiting reactor it splits to a tee for 2 inlets to tank (80 gal). i am thinking right ?arent i? more flow faster saturation?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
trong;43563 said:
ehiem is dedicated, and is 1/2 inpvc in and out. after exiting reactor it splits to a tee for 2 inlets to tank (80 gal). i am thinking right ?arent i? more flow faster saturation?

Hi,

If the efficiency of your reactor is such that the water passing through the reactor is CO2 saturated, then increasing the water flow would move more CO2 into the tank.

As Gerry points out you may have to increase the CO2 (gas) into the reactor to maintain the level of CO2 in solute to increase the amount of CO2 available for the tank.

In general the longer the water remains in the reactor the more CO2 gas is dissolved into the water.

Biollante

trong

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2007
my diy reactor has been running for a few weeks now and co2 concentration in the tank isn't what i was hoping for. the reactor sounds like its perculating, which is where my ? comes from. if it's perculating im asuming an excess (or pleanty)of co2 inside reactor? or is it O2?
my brain tells me to increase flow to expose more water to co2....right?
there are no leaks, and co2 is off at night. the reactor is the diy one from sfbaas
this is really 3 more ?'s