reactor question

Protint

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2005
Hi New subscriber to the board here. I recognize a few names from other boards. I belong to Window Tinting message boards also and have found that the planted aquarium world is just as small as the window tinting world.

I have had a mild to bad case of BGA for quite sometime. I have used the three day blackout per Tom's instructions successfully only to have the BGA return.

I am useing pressurized C02 with a reactor 200 I ordered from Floridadriftwood. It is the one with the powerhead on the top with the sponge on the bottom (that gets all clogged up and falls out every two to three days). This reactor is supposed to be rated for large tanks up to 200g. I can't seem to get my C02 level past 24ppm (per a redsea test kit). No matter how fast I pump the C02 into the reactor the C02 level never gets past 24ppm. I was thinking that this reactor isn't big enough. Could I be correct? Would an inline reactor like the reactor 1000 with the black bioballs work better?

Forgive my ignorance or lack of terms. I am new to planted aquariums and am typeing this at 0430 9 1/2 hours into a 12 hour shift. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am glad I joined.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: reactor question

Protint said:
Hi New subscriber to the board here. I recognize a few names from other boards. I belong to Window Tinting message boards also and have found that the planted aquarium world is just as small as the window tinting world.

I have had a mild to bad case of BGA for quite sometime. I have used the three day blackout per Tom's instructions successfully only to have the BGA return.

I am useing pressurized C02 with a reactor 200 I ordered from Floridadriftwood. It is the one with the powerhead on the top with the sponge on the bottom (that gets all clogged up and falls out every two to three days). This reactor is supposed to be rated for large tanks up to 200g. I can't seem to get my C02 level past 24ppm (per a redsea test kit). No matter how fast I pump the C02 into the reactor the C02 level never gets past 24ppm. I was thinking that this reactor isn't big enough. Could I be correct? Would an inline reactor like the reactor 1000 with the black bioballs work better?

Forgive my ignorance or lack of terms. I am new to planted aquariums and am typeing this at 0430 9 1/2 hours into a 12 hour shift. :eek:

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am glad I joined.

Unless you added the KNO3 back, the BGA willr eturn in a few days after a blackout.

The CO2 reactor I have on this site(see venturi DIY public archives) is better than that one they sell.

How do I know? That one was modeled after my design, I had it on the side but swaped the placement for the top. Mine has, nor needs any sponge and does not clog if you use it on a timer ever.

Flow is better and the venturi action allows better dissolution/purging.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH

Tom is right (of course). I started using his reactor design a few weeks ago. Prior to this I used an inverted bowl design, a DIY reactor similar to the one you are having issues with (sponge, tube, powerhead) and the intake to my HOB filter. The intake of my HOB worked the best out of those option....but even then I was only getting around 18-25 (using a ph-kh chart). Now with his venturi reactor design I am seeing levels of 40-45 ppm. No algae.

You need to dose KNO3. During the blackout and after!

Protint

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2005

Thanks for the replys.

I did dose KNO3 after the blackout. I am thinking that the C02 isn't high enough and that aloud the BGA to return.

I dose
KNO3 1 tablespoon Sat-Mon-Wed
K2SO4 1 tablespoon Sat-Mon-Wed
KH2PO4 1/4 teaspoon Sat-Mon-Wed
CSM+B 1/4 teaspoon Sun-Tues-Thurs

50% Water changes on Saturday.

I was also doesing to much KH2PO4 when I first got started. I don't have anyway of testing for phosphates out of the tap. There is alot of farming around here so I am guessing that the phosphate level in the tap is high. I am going to cut back on KH2PO4 and see if it works.

I am going to do another blackout along with a new reactor and start over again.

AV8TOR

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Ohio

Tom I know you mention a Rio 180 in one of your posts, is that what is shown in the photo? It does not look like a Rio to me.

I am intrigued by your design and thinking of making one although I am having no problems maintaining 30-35 ppm with my diffuser. I take it with the 3/16” CO2 supply tube you don’t really need an additional bubble counter do you?

For a 55 gallon do you recommend the 4” or 6”?

Thanks
Ray

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Protint said:
I dose
KNO3 1 tablespoon Sat-Mon-Wed
K2SO4 1 tablespoon Sat-Mon-Wed
KH2PO4 1/4 teaspoon Sat-Mon-Wed
CSM+B 1/4 teaspoon Sun-Tues-Thurs

50% Water changes on Saturday.

How big is your tank? Hopefully pretty big for those dosages... :eek:

Protint

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2005

Laith it's a 200g. I just have the substrate and a few pieces of lace rock. I am figureing it is more like a 180g.

Hope I am not overdueing it. :confused:

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Should be ok for a 200g, maybe a tiny bit on the high side.

I was just making sure you weren't pouring those amounts into a 55g! :eek:

Would love to get a big tank like that one day. But the amount of plants you need is huge!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

AV8TOR said:
Tom I know you mention a Rio 180 in one of your posts, is that what is shown in the photo? It does not look like a Rio to me.

I am intrigued by your design and thinking of making one although I am having no problems maintaining 30-35 ppm with my diffuser. I take it with the 3/16” CO2 supply tube you don’t really need an additional bubble counter do you?

For a 55 gallon do you recommend the 4” or 6”?

Thanks
Ray

Rio 180 it is.
The bubble counter is the tube itself.
Another reason I don't use separate bubble counters.

Clean that tank good, large tanks are not easy, make sure there's no light and also good conditions afterwards, clean the tank and the filter good also.

Regards,
Tom Barr