This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Reactor and Mist

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Bill, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I have a reactor on a 120g tank and the CO2 runs around 40 to 50.

If I add mist with the reactor should I be able to see a difference in plants growth?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. fosteder

fosteder Guru Class Expert

Re: Reactor and Mist

what do you mean by CO2 runs around 40-50??

3. colonel

colonel Guru Class Expert

40 - 50 ppm i would Imange. And as far as seeing a difference if you ran the mist method I can not say for sure, I just swiched over to the mist method myself, but the general opinion if that it does improve plant health and growth over just getting those dissloved CO2 concentration's in the water colum, for the reason that you have pure Co2 bubbles floating all around your tank to come in direct contact with the plant leaves.
    I would say be the judge for your self, its easy enough to hook your CO2 line to a limewood stone or the like and toss it in a high current area in the tank!

~Matt

4. Bill

Lifetime Member

40 to 50 ppm

I was wanting to keep my reactor going and just split my CO2 line after the regulator with two needle valves, one for the reactor and one to the limewood stone.

I was going to put the limewood stone in the return line after the reactor. My return line is a 1/2" clear pvc line with holes in it running across the back-bottom of the tank.

My reactor works well and all of the CO2 is disolved before returning to the tank, I was just curious to know if anyone else has tried this. I already push my CO2 as high as the fish can take so if I can add more and not affect the fish thats sounds like a good deal, as long as I still like the look with the bubbles.

Bill

5. handimn1

handimn1 Junior Poster

What kind of reactor do you have?

6. Bill

Lifetime Member

I have an external reactor that I made out of 4" pvc. I have about 6" behind my tank that you don't see so I put it behind the tank, I got a little carried away because it's 4' tall but all of the CO2 disolves.

My return pipe from the sump and reactor runs all along the rear bottom of the tank. I tried running the mist into return line but the small bubbles join back together to make large bubbles. Next I going to try to run the mist into the return line from my Eheim which is located at the top of the tank on the side blowing down. I'm hoping that if I inject the mist right before the output that it will stay in the mist form.

If that doesn't work I guess I will run it thru a powerhead but I already have all of the water movement I want in the tank. All of my return pipes are black pvc so they are hidden very well and if I add the powerhead it will be visible .

Bill

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Bill, several have done this in our local club.

Red Sea makes the Berlin Skimmer limewood stones which are very small, about 1cm square and about 3cm long. They come 3 to a pack.

You might try those.

I think if you use a spray bar, and add the mist to that just behind the first hole, direct this spray bar into the plant beds, you will find that will work best.

Smaller tanks or tanks with a spray bar: bubble the mist up right below the outflow.

Try and keep the weeds down so that there is good current all the way around the tank.

I'll see about the photo's, they used clear 2" PVC so they can see the mini glass diffuser.

I've seen a dozen different hybrids of various sorts of reactors/diffusers etc.
    I came up with 20 or so back 5-7 years ago.

A high quality venturi can also be used instead and they are very good, but require higher pressure/gph flow rates to run well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

8. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The CO2 mist method also adds dissolved CO2 to the water, and it does it very well. So, if you have 40 ppm CO2 now, from using the reactor, and you add CO2 mist without reducing the bubble rate to the reactor, you will kill the fish. CO2 mist isn't a repeal of the physical laws that say CO2 dissolves easily into water.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Precisely.
    That's the part that bugs some folks.
    It bugged me too.

But I've watched those little bubbles rise up and slowly disappear and then when I added current, they didn't.

Now why?

I'm not sure, but you cannot have it both ways.
    This observation is counter intuitive.

Other Gases diffusing into a bubble is a very slow process, much like CO2 and O2 diffusing from the air above, O2/N2 etc are not very souble, CO2 is.

Initially the CO2 mist from current takes only a liittkle while to dissolve but so thereafter, once the CO2 level builds up, the mist starts top persist and near the end, the mist persist for long peroids(30-90 seconds etc).

When I talk about persistence, I'm talking seconds..... maybe a minute or two, not days, hours etc. It's not long nor needs to be to have a strong effect.

These are just the observations, and you can see the plant's response, Amano does something similar as well.

I really like these tiny limewood Red Sea air stones though, these are the best stones yet.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

10. Bill

Lifetime Member

>>>A high quality venturi can also be used instead and they are very good, but require higher pressure/gph flow rates to run well.

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Yes, give the tiny limewood stones a try, you will find them pretty useful.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

12. richr

richr Junior Poster