This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Re-plant or wait?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Minnie, May 31, 2005.

  1. Minnie

    Minnie Junior Poster

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    So I'm in my first week using EI. The problem is that I waited so long and have such bad algae at this point, I don't know what to do. I don't know what kind it is, some kind of brush algae that doesn't come off easily, and there is so much of it. I know that it is best to manually remove what you can, but my plants are looking bad because I have cut so much off of some of them that they look, ummm, shall we say, unattractive? I have a couple of anubias with one leaf remaining. Should I pull out the really bad plants and put new ones in? Wait it out a couple of weeks and see what happens? Would new plants get the algae even though I'm now doing the EI schedule? Thanks.
     
  2. tnnlynch

    tnnlynch Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: Re-plant or wait?

    Sounds like you might want to do a blackout to reset the tank then remove whatever doesn't look like it will recover and replant. Maybe add some fast growing plants to out compete the algae until the tank is more stable as well.

    Tom
     
  3. jrneuzil

    jrneuzil Expired Subscriber

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2005
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: Re-plant or wait?

    One reason I made the decision to get my hands wet again with a plant tank instead of going back to a mini reef was the price of the tank stock.
    If things look that bad, just dump it and start over. Plants are cheap in comparison to rock and corals. I figured that if things went south I would not be out much.
    Rip it out.

    Just my thought. People say I am heartless anyway.

    JR
     
  4. srozell

    srozell Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: Re-plant or wait?

    Dose KNO3, then black out for 3 days, then dose again with KNO3.

    The black-out is free. If that fails, go with plan #2.
     
Loading...

Share This Page