Re-plant or wait?

Minnie

Junior Poster
May 24, 2005
So I'm in my first week using EI. The problem is that I waited so long and have such bad algae at this point, I don't know what to do. I don't know what kind it is, some kind of brush algae that doesn't come off easily, and there is so much of it. I know that it is best to manually remove what you can, but my plants are looking bad because I have cut so much off of some of them that they look, ummm, shall we say, unattractive? I have a couple of anubias with one leaf remaining. Should I pull out the really bad plants and put new ones in? Wait it out a couple of weeks and see what happens? Would new plants get the algae even though I'm now doing the EI schedule? Thanks.

tnnlynch

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2005
Re: Re-plant or wait?

Sounds like you might want to do a blackout to reset the tank then remove whatever doesn't look like it will recover and replant. Maybe add some fast growing plants to out compete the algae until the tank is more stable as well.

Tom

jrneuzil

Mar 13, 2005
Eastern Kentucky

One reason I made the decision to get my hands wet again with a plant tank instead of going back to a mini reef was the price of the tank stock.
If things look that bad, just dump it and start over. Plants are cheap in comparison to rock and corals. I figured that if things went south I would not be out much.
Rip it out.

Just my thought. People say I am heartless anyway.

JR

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Dose KNO3, then black out for 3 days, then dose again with KNO3.

The black-out is free. If that fails, go with plan #2.