This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Ratio importance much?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Dennis Singh, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Now I've been doing over ei quite a bit now on my main tank, it is fully established, microorganisms, bb and all
    thats why i think i can get away with it
    My question is do the ratios really matter?

I am quite off in my fertilization but what if i were to change things around

Say 10ppm phosphate
    5ppm Nitrate
    20ppm K

Or however you want to do it?

Made up law states: As long as the nutrient is available accessible and in abundance that ratio's do not matter.

Hope to get some input

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

The ratio of the macros is not really all that important, it's just that more N and K are consumed than P. You can dose way more P than N, but it won't be consumed. Go too low on your N, however, and you'll see that.

burr740 likes this.
  3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

what about on the micros Christophe. I know of two really good growers that
    use 3:1:1 gluc/dtpa and csm ratio
    Yes this does not matter but why that exact ratio?

4. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

I dunno. In general they're boosting the iron content of the CSM, but I think there's a lot of individual system dependence that really defines how much of what you need, and there's also more than a bit of superstition involved too. I tend to think that the people designing CSM or the Hoaglund solution are not far off the mark, although they're formulated with terrestrial crops in mind, not aquatics.

Someday when there's 27 billion dollars to be made in growing aquatic plants, somebody will figure it out with high precision!

LRJ and DutchMuch like this.
  5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

3:1:1 is just arbitrary, based mostly on Fe, more than the other micros, they are micros, just not needed much.
    ADA AS has plenty of trace metals. So............not likely anyone really needs more of those if they have rooted plants.

Garage tanks get nothing for months, no issues related to traces, more N related over time with ADA AS.