This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ramosior And The Droop

What could possibly cause the droop that everyone dreads?
  1. Chicago's_PlantedTank

Local Time:
    10:02 AM
    Chicago's_PlantedTank submitted a new Article:

Ramosior And The Droop

Read more about this article here...

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    4:02 PM
    Ethylene is often associated with rapid necrosis. The strong central stele is the the xylem/collenchyma, the outer softer pithy sponge like material is the ground tissue, and it's where the aernychyma is and what facilitates gas exchange.
    It's wise to use this honeycomb type of structure to reduce the need for extra tissues since there's no need to fight gravity much in the submersed state. Cutting off the source of gases like endogenous ethylene is likely what's going on here. It also removes the O2 being sent to the roots.

In my own experiences, trimming often led to MORE necrosis, whereas NOT trimming led to continued prolonged growth. Aggressive trimming did not work so well in my case.
    I did not lose all the plants, I lost maybe 40-60%. This was in 3 different tanks. Nutrients where never a factor. Tank height was different. Possible factor. Sediment was the same, old ADA AS, current: pretty wide ranges, no response.
    Higher KH seems to mitigate the effect.

This was not for Florida, only the normal types Rotala sunset.
    I've not had issues with "Florida".