This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Raising KH but not PH ??

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Mooner, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hello all

Is there any other way to raise the KH besides using Baking Soda? One that will not affect PH? I have a Excel tank that has a PH of 8.1 and adding NaHCO3 will make my ph even higher? KH in said tank is 3 and GH is 12. Tap water has PH of 8.0 and KH of 4 and GH of 5. I already use GH booster so what are my options for KH without raising PH even higher?? or does a PH this high matter??

Excel is dosed per bottle 1 ML per 10 gal every day and more on WC day. WC is once a month and running 1/3 of EI and TMG for traces.

Thanks Chris

30 gal
    2w CF
    inert substrate
    1/3 of EI (KNO3, PO4) per week
    Traces 5 ML TMG 2x week
    1/8 tsp gh bootser after WC

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Why raise the KH? 3 is a good KH. You can lower the pH with peat, but it makes the water a bit yellow. With virtually no CO2 in the water the pH is going to be high unless some tannins or humic acid are lowering it.

3. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hi Vaughn,

ok the KH is good. What about the PH at 8.0? leave it alone? Do the plants care?
    Peat will introduce tannins. Will that will affect PH and KH readings?

I also have a non co2-non Excel tank which has a dusting of peat in the sub and yes it has yellow water. KH reads >1. Are tannins interfering with KH reading(tritration method) If so then what?

I have searched Tannins in the forums. Sounds like there is interference. Mabey AC will help but isn't the yellowing supposed to go away after awhile? Then is that the end of the acidic affects?

I thought that KH should be watched- or a I making to much of this:confused:

Chris

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I'd not worry about it, it should be light dependent(pH).

You should measure a mid to low pH right before the lights come on and higher late in the day cycle.

Plants remove the CO2 first.
    Then Excel, then KH last.

You have the same amount of buffer(KH), but the acid, the CO2 is removed and then is slowly added back at night when plants do not use it.
    So the pH shoots up during the day and returned to lower levels at night.

If you do not use CO2, then do not bother worrying about the pH/KH.
    There's little you can do other than add CO2, as that is all that relationship is really used for in our case here(We add CO2 to grow the plants better).

Regards,
    Tom Barr