Rainbows And Plants...

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Hello folks!

I'm recently new to this hobby plants and fish. It was suggested to start a journal, so others and myself can easily track my progress. So here goes.

It all started when I decided a fish tank would be a good hobby for me and my family to enjoy. I didn't want anything complex and expensive so I bought a 20g tank set up. Fake plants, easy hardy fish ECT. Roughly 6-7 months ago. After having it for a month or so and doing research on fish, I got the itch for something bigger with the ability to keep bigger fish. My LFS had a display with Bossmani and I new what I wanted, so I went home and researched the rainbow fish for fun as I knew a 20g was nowhere big enough for a community of Rainbows.

The golden opportunity came when the wife gave me permission to get a bigger tank. I had 4ft to work with so a 90gal it was. I got it home and immediately stocked it with my daughter, nemo, and dory!
FB_IMG_1515697113417.jpg
FB_IMG_1515698404980.jpg

Once I got it all set up it was time for rainbows. I did a lot of research and learned of Gary Lange and had to have his line of fish. I watched aqua bid every day until I found a breeder of his strain. Along came Roseline17. He lives in Madison wi, so even better! He is about 40 minutes from me! I contacted him and he had no young stock to sell me. He was however moving soon and needed a home for his breeders and a few others. From him I got 4 Bossmani, 5 M. Parva, 3 Allenii, 2 Red dragons, and a Dority. Also a couple algae eaters. Suddenly I was way over stocked with close to 40 fish in all. Nature took over and I lost the Allenii and red dragon. Fearful I'd lose more I started breeding the Bossmani I got from him. I now have about 100+ 4 month old fry soon I'll breed the Parva as well. Roseline17 is teaching along the way. Great guy.

So now I have the tank, and lots of fish, and mostly fake decorations. Plants.... I need live plants! How hard can it be?

FB_IMG_1513375443599.jpg

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
In the beginning I got very good at killing plants. All sorts of them. All easy low light stuff. I found myself in over my head. This led me here. I was watching you tube on planted tanks and watched a video of greggz's tank. It was inspiring to say the least. Georgous tank. My first post here he chimed in and started helping me right away! I soon learned he has bows from Roseline17 too. So thank you Greggz for your help and advice so far, and also Tom Barr who has helped get me going in the right direction. This where I am today, still a hot mess but well on my way.

FB_IMG_1515701294349.jpg

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Got a present in the mail today!

Tomorrow starts my dosing routine with a big water change. Based on what I've been told, and the fact that I have lower light plants, I'm going to start with 1/2 the EI. 3 times per week, with flourish or csm+b when that runs out twice a week. I'll use the GH booster on my water change day. My 1st go at this so I'm very open to suggestions. My water is very hard, but is softened. So water out of my tap has 0 calcium and magnesium. I'll also be dosing flourish iron every other day.

20180111_145904.jpg

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Glad to see you started a journal. I've gotta say, this is going to be fun to follow.

Looks like you have jumped right down the rabbit hole. You are in for quite a journey. Remember to have patience and enjoy it along the way.

Expect a few stumbles, as we all experience them.

And at some point list some details about the tank. There are many here who will be glad to help.

You've got a great start, and in particular a nice group of well bred Bows to enjoy. Subscribed.

Reactions: Rmerriett

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Thanks Greggz

So my initial dosing schedule I'm planning is to go with the 60-80gal EI.
My weekly water change will be on Tuesday. After the wc I'll dose
3/4 tsp kno3
3/16 tsp kh2po4
1/4 tsp k2so4
1/4 tsp plantex csm+b

I'll repeat those doses on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday. Repeat starting Tuesday.

If someone can help me with dosing the GH booster, Gregg what would you recommend and how often? I'd assume only dose after water changes? Once per week?

Reactions: Greggz

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Tank set up.

I bought it as a set from my local fish store.
90gal tank with stand.
2x Tidal110 hob filters
Powerhead
Green killing machine uv water polisher.
48" current Satalite Plus pro led lights.*
Green leaf aquariums co2 system with atomic atomizer
Drop checker
Heater

Planned upgrades.
Replace atomic atomizer with an external reactor
Inline uv sterilizer?
Canister filter?

*these lights would fall into medium light at full intensity. Built in timer that ramps up and down with sunrise and sunset. Adjustable rgb lights which can be adjusted to many different colors.

Reactions: Mike k and Greggz

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
If someone can help me with dosing the GH booster, Gregg what would you recommend and how often? I'd assume only dose after water changes? Once per week?
Yes, that's the way I do it, right after water change, once per week. With the GLA GH booster, keep in mind it has a good amount of K2SO4, so you can figure that into your dosing.

It doesn't dissolve well, so it helps to mix it with water ahead of time. Really stir it around a bit, and it will dissolve more quickly in the tank.

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
So my initial dosing schedule I'm planning is to go with the 60-80gal EI.
My weekly water change will be on Tuesday. After the wc I'll dose
3/4 tsp kno3
3/16 tsp kh2po4
1/4 tsp k2so4
1/4 tsp plantex csm+b
And one more thing, just so you know, those are full EI dosing numbers, not 1/2.

And when you say you are dosing 60-80gal EI, I know you got that from a chart. You are much better off using Zorfox or Rotala Butterfly calculators.

It takes a little time, but once you figure it out how to use them, it will make sense, and they will be your friend in the long run.

Reactions: Mike k

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Yes, I figured I'd normally use the 100g doses if my tank was fully stocked with plants. Looking at the measurements, the 60gal chart is half that. As far as the GH booster, I can not find a calculator for what I need for 90gal. Assuming my calcium and magnesium from tap is 0. There is measurements on the jar, but I have To say when it comes to math and conversions I'm completely lost.

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Once again, forget the charts. And don't get married to any of the numbers, watch how they work in YOUR tank.

Download this calculator: http://www.zorfox.com/plantedtank/

PM me if you need help.

And for 90G, here are the results to raise it 2 degrees of GH. About 4 TBS of GLA GH Booster.

Ca 8.576248157
dGH 2
K 16.73324173
Mg 3.467375305
S 18.297577198

Or you can dose MgSO4 and CaSO4 and make your own blend.

Reactions: Phishless

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
So this week ive spent a lot of time adding plants.. lots of them, but im sure its not enough just yet. The good news is, im seeing new growth on plants that where previously melting. Algea really has not been an issue. Im kind of expierimenting at this point, and just adding the common plants i find in fish/petstores. Here is a list of what i have. I may have fogotten the names of a couple.

Java fern
Cryptocorene undulata
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia ovalis
Scarlet temple (Alternanthera Reineckii)
Staurogyne repens
Telanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
Red tiger lotus
Rotala macranda
Rotala wallichii
Monosolenium tenerum (moss)
Anubius (couple different ones)
Crinum calamastratum
Wisteria
Broad leaf chain sword
Melon sword

A lot of the plants are within a week old from the store, so i imagine there going to perk up.

My observations thus far. The plants are growing! I can do this! Im pretty pumped and excited at this point. As i was moving older plants i noticed how thick and srong the stems and leaves are. The red plants have lost some color, but time will tell if i have enough light and iron. I am looking into getting a second light to give me the option to get into higher tech plants. My doesing has been as follows: m,t,th,s- EI, flourish for traces on same days, gh booster on tuesday after my +50% water change. The folowing pictures where taken today.

FB_IMG_1516331984752.jpg

FB_IMG_1516331997854.jpg

FB_IMG_1516332010216.jpg

Last edited:

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Wow, what a change. Looks like you are getting somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Keep the pictures coming.

Reactions: Rmerriett

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Well i think ill break this update up into a few posts. Its been 5 days and there is significant growth in a few plants. I was going to wait till Friday to update the journal but im a bit inpatient. First ill show the most obvious growth. The lidwigia and wisteria. Growing at close to 1" per day is my guess, mayybe a little less. Im thinking about how tall is tall enough so i can trim and replant. Both plants hhave grown at close to the same rate. Compre to last weeks photos.

FB_IMG_1516732182555.jpg

FB_IMG_1516732165814.jpg

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
Full tank photo taken today and you might wonder where all the Rotalla went. Well i have 2 algea eaters that are large and love to play in that area of the tank. The Rotalla they uprooted is on the other side of the tank by the drop checker.

Its frustrating as ive re-planted them a few times now. Im actually thinking of trading them in now (algea eaters). On the bright side, i think its a good indicator of how good my flow is. The stuff still planted here has grown, but at a slower rate. Are algea eaters nessesary for a planted tank?

FB_IMG_1516732210472.jpg

FB_IMG_1516732111235.jpg

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
My large Anubias has another new leaf just a week later. Ill trim or treat with h202 the older algea covered leaves.
Chain sword is growing, and has has a few runners.
Red tiger lily growing... not sure. Does seem to have some black spots thats slowly killing leaves.
The melon sword seems to be struggeling. Going to add a root tab to see if that helps.

It took me a bit to figure out the timer on my lights, so this week will be a more schedualed and consistant lighting schedual. Still hunting that special piece of manzanita wood.

FB_IMG_1516732197867.jpg

FB_IMG_1516732142336.jpg

FB_IMG_1516732126879.jpg

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
So i got a text message today from Marcel (Roseline). "Im doing water changes and have some plants if you want them." Yesss i do! So made a trip to Madison today and got a bunch of Vals and crypts. I pretty much just got them home and put them close to where i want them. Ill be moving some things around, next water change. So far eveything is still alive and growing. I am however getting some algea on the slower growing plants. Makes them look dirty. I suspect too much light still. We shal see if the vals help shade the light some. If not ill have to lower light intensity. Hopefully it will work with the timer that way.

FB_IMG_1517528897321.jpg

Reactions: Nikolyator

Rmerriett

Jan 5, 2018
Watertown, wisconsin
So on to the next step. First thing first, and im looking for advice here. Im posting a couple of pictures of my plants that are not doing well. Im dosing EI and gh booster, and pressurized co2. These plants are still not happy. Im still figuring things out and dialing in the gh booster. Am i not dosing enough ferts? Should i jump up to the next level recomended for a 100 gal tank?

Now for co2 and filtration. Im running two tidal110 HOB filters and im going to change one out to an ehiem classic 600 (2217). And i am building a cerges co2 reactor ive attached pictures of. The hose barb size may change depending on what the eheim hose will fit. I also have a few internal parts, i need like the hair sponge thingy. Im wondering if the eheim will be enough to drive it, or will i need a seperate pump. If so, what gph shoud i get for best dissolution?

FB_IMG_1518048902050.jpg

FB_IMG_1517009626558.jpg

[
FB_IMG_1518126409874.jpg

FB_IMG_1518126396199.jpg

FB_IMG_1518126409874.jpg

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
I went back and read the posts above, and you mentioned that you figured your LED light was providing medium PAR.

I did a quick search, and found a video where a guy took a reading on it at 16" and it was at 35 PAR. Don't know if he's right or not but your tank is 24" deep, so I would wonder what the PAR really is at that depth? Just wondering if some of those plants close to the substrate are getting enough light?

It's just a thought. I don't really know a lot about LED lights, but maybe someone knows more about that particular fixture.

Reactions: Fissh