Rain-X

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
If we were to apply Rain-X, Rain-X Original Glass Treatment—The Invisible Windshield Wiper, to the inside surfaces of our aquariums before adding the water, would that be an effective repellent to GDA and GSA? Rain-X is a siloxane containing material, and some siloxanes are used as food additives, so it might not affect the tank life forms. But, would it prevent algae from getting a good grip on the glass?:eek: Hey, I'm serious here, so stop laughing!

adechazal

Prolific Poster
May 7, 2007
Rochester, Michigan
Hoppy, I was scrubbing GDA about an hour ago and wondering the same thing, though rainX had not crossed my mind, I figure it won't be long before someone is selling a glass treatment that repels GDA.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
adechazal;31176 said:
Hoppy, I was scrubbing GDA about an hour ago and wondering the same thing, though rainX had not crossed my mind, I figure it won't be long before someone is selling a glass treatment that repels GDA.

That would sell more gallons than even Excel! Even if it were only effective against hard algae, like green spot algae, it would be a great product.

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I would fathom a guess that RainX mainly fills in the microscopic pits in the glass caused from daily driving and make a new smooth surface. The product must breakdown for it to have been on the market for years. What would it do then in our tank water?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If you sniff enough Rain-X. you will not see the algae.

You are not going to find many surface treatments to prevent algae.
Large wter changes make cleaning much easier.

Regards,
Tom Barr

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Nerite snails are my Rain-X ... they don't prevent, but they do remove. I have 3 tanks and 12 - 16 nerites. I am constantly moving them around, always to a tank that is accumulating spots of GDA. I put the snails right on the GDA area, they attach and start scraping immediately. All GDA is typically gone in a day or two. Then, on to the next tank. :) Unfortunately, I really don't have enough GDA to keep my nerites fed and a few of them have starved recently.

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I noticed my GSA increased after I got rid of my Otos. I was worried the new sids would eat them. I will try them again soon.

tedr108;31190 said:
Nerite snails are my Rain-X ... they don't prevent, but they do remove. I have 3 tanks and 12 - 16 nerites. I am constantly moving them around, always to a tank that is accumulating spots of GDA. I put the snails right on the GDA area, they attach and start scraping immediately. All GDA is typically gone in a day or two. Then, on to the next tank. :) Unfortunately, I really don't have enough GDA to keep my nerites fed and a few of them have starved recently.