quick question for the c02 masters

s0ulcommited

Junior Poster
Jul 1, 2009
so let's say, you have a 50 gallon tank and you're running 4bps of c02 through a glass diffuser. Let's say your plants are showing signs of c02 deficiency maybe let's say due to flow or whatever reason. If you decided to cut the tanks water content by half, with only 25/30 gallons running the same bps, would you have more c02 in the water?

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
It could help or worsen things, depends. The tank will also get a higher light intensity...

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Time Has Come, Said The Walrus, To Speak Of Many Things: Of CO2 Reactors...

Hi,

I believe running that diffuser in some kind of reactor, even the most basic would serve you better. :)

While bubble rates are poor estimators of CO2 use, it sounds as though you are getting plenty of gas into the tank, you are failing to get the gas into solution and circulated around the tank.

If bubbles from the diffuser are visible to the naked eye hitting the surface, halving the amount of the water column is going to reduce the total amount of CO2 in solution, significantly.

Then add the problem Jonny mentioned.

As far as I can tell most diffusers are designed to operate most efficiently in 10 feet (3 meters) or more of water in about 3 miles per hour (4.8 kilometers per hour) of flow.

In my ever-humble potted plant opinion, any type of CO2 counter flow device is a major improvement.

Biollante