quick canister filter plumbing question

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
what problems if any will i have if I plumb in parallel a magnum 350 into an existing magnum 350 keeping 1 return line and 1 intake. Keeping the same diameter intake line.

I want to do this for 2 reasons: 1 to increase current without adding more crap into the display. 2 to take out the diy pvc c02 reactor and use the 2nd canister for a c02 reactor.

Right now I feel like im just under the ideal current in the tank and adding a powerhead even a small one is just to much or not versitile enough. I dont like my plants being blown all around and in a 55g theres just no depth(front to back) to work with. (never buy a 55g intended for a planted tank).

The C02 reactor I have isnt modified to degass itself and while i could do that im still not adressing the current problem. With adding a 2nd canister and modifying it for C02 injection/degassing I could maybe kill 2 birds etc.. What do you think?

Im a CNC machinist. So I can drill and tap pipe threads for fittings wherever needed.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Darkstar,

So you will have the following:?

1. ONE intake pipe that is SPLIT to feed BOTH canisters.

2. One canister is for c02 the other for filtration.

3. You will MERGE the output of the 2 canisters back to 1 for the tank return.

If the above is correct, will your intake be too small so that either of the canisters are STARVED for water intake?

You may want to increase your inlet/outlet pipe diameter to gain more flow. A smaller pipe will have more velocity but less water flow.

A larger diameter pipe will have less velocity but flow MORE water.

When you add the second filter and it's output, you may restrict this via the smaller outlet pipe.

Hope this makes sense.

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
I thinking I'd just draw water from 1 inlet to the first canister which is mechanical filtration then the return line from that will split to a Tee or Y. One line going back to the tank and the other feeding canister #2. The return from can #2 merging back into the return line from can #1 and into the tank.