This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

questions

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tedr108, Feb 28, 2008.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:47 AM
    Here are 2 questions that have been gnawing at me, but I've avoided asking, until today... :)

1) If I use a rubber band around a pre-filter, it deteriorates within a few weeks. I do not mind replacing it, but is there something getting into the water that is bad for plants or fish or other critters? I do 50% water changes each week, if that makes any difference. I haven't noticed any problems in my tank, but I still like helping my plants and critters any way I can.

2) I read one post in a thread that said Glossostigma was a higher maintenance plant. I am slightly concerned because I currently have some Glossso that is spreading like wildfire on my substrate. What is high maintenance about it? Let me guess first:

As the plant ages, it starts dying off (and feeding algae!), so you have to go in and trim it all -- which will be a pain for me because I do not have good gardening tools at this point. Hopefully you can just trim it and don't have to pull it ... I have fairly high light and my glosso is only about 1/4" high, so trimming would be tough.

2. creighton

creighton Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Tedr,

Not really sure about the rubber band thing, but if fish aren't dying its probally not that big of a deal.

As far as glosso you know what to do. Just hack it back when it gets too crazy. They sell some super cheap scissors on AB that are over a ft' long and are curved for easy lawn plant trimming. They're not real sharp but it only cost me $18, shipping included. It would probally be smarter to invest in some ADA scissors. I wonder if there are any medical suppliers that would sell to individuals. I think that's mostly where that stuff comes from.

Please excuse my horrible spellnig...The spell check at school does not work.

3. swylie

swylie Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The rubber band is almost certainly harmless. If you want something more durable, try an o-ring. I'm not sure what material the standard-issue o-rings are made of, but it's some kind of synthetic rubber, and has proved long-lasting in my tank.

4. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info...

Creighton, curved (angled) scissors sounds like the ticket.

Swylie, if O-rings last a long time, I'll definitely go out and buy some.

5. Ardell

Ardell Junior Poster

Local Time:
    On the subject of gardening tools... Quite a while back i was looking for some small scissors for the more delicate trimming. I stopped at the local beauty supply shop and found a pair of eyebrow trimming scissors. They come to an extremely fine point, are small to get tight spaces, and they are completely stainless steel. They also have a slight curve that makes them extremely useful. I honestly forget how much they were but i remember they were much cheaper than anything made for the hobby. I've been using them for about six months now and as far as being suited to the purpose i think they're my favorite tool.

Image of eyebrow scissors - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6. creighton

Local Time:
    Ardell,
    Good find, but I think those may be a little small for my tastes. Who knew they make scissors for eyebrows :confused: ?

7. Ardell

Ardell Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yea, if the wife had'nt mentioned it i never would have checked the beauty shop. I deal with a 40 breeder so i can take the time to manicure every last inch and still not spend all day doing it. I could see them not being nearly as useful in a larger tank. Where i really noticed a difference though is trimming red tiger lotus, I have a hell of a time seeing which leaf im cutting off in a field of stems, with the super fine tip its much easier for me to pinpoint.

8. creighton

Local Time:
    Cool. That's good to know. I'm gonna get me a pair. I'm sure it is super useful for nano's.