This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

questions regarding power outages

Discussion in 'Articles' started by shoggoth43, Oct 31, 2011.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:22 PM
    At this point I haven't had power since mid Saturday afternoon. So... I did get an air powered pump in the main tank to keep them alive, and I've got towels/blankets covering the tank. However, my discus are slowly turning into a block of ice. Does anyone have any idea as to what I can try to warm up the water?

I can probably get a camp stove to boil water, but I'm not sure whether using this directly in the tank is good. ( The water, NOT the stove... ) Should I pour the water into soda bottles and float those around or is using the water direct from the kettle safe enough for now given the conditions in the tank? I didn't find the thermometer floating around, but just by touch the water is pretty cold so I'd guess I'm down to at least 60s if not worse.

-
    S

2. zackdmb

zackdmb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    i would put the water in bottles, or better yet if you have those rubber "hot water bottles", rather than pouring boilng water directly into the tank. You could also wrap the tank with styrofoam if you have any of that, insulation, blankets, towels, etc... dont just cover the top but actually wrap around tank. Other than that. depending on how valuable the tank is to you, your only other option is to go out and get a generator. If your tank is valued at $1000+ a generator that costs $200-300 might be worth it.

3. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As I'm in a condo and pretty much all the surrounding towns are without power, they're probably goners but I'll see what I can do. A generator is probably not an option. I'm not sure what LFS might be available to board them. It seems most are without power as well.

-
    S

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Boogers! Frozen Boogers at That!

Hi S,

Wrapping and covering the tank with anything is important.

Get the camp stove, do whatever you have to do to raise the temperature.

It is important not to raise the temperature too quickly.

You have a large tank can probably get away with pouring hot water in directly stir while pouring.

There are some propane burners/heaters that can be used indoors, if you have or can get those great, otherwise be very careful of carbon monoxide.

The generator thing is a good idea if there are any available, same CO warnings.

Do you know anyone with gas stove or water heater? It is a pain hauling water, but…

We are pulling for you buddy!
    :gw

Biollante

5. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm stuck at work for a while longer. I found an LFS that might be able to board them, but I won't know what I can do until I get home. If they've started going belly up by then I doubt there's much that can be done. No point in carting dead fish to the LFS. Not in a particularly good mood. Especially when I trees still coming down on power lines in the neighborhood that weren't down before. Idiots with chainsaws who don't have a clue do not make restoring power easier.

-
    S

6. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I spent some of last night boiling water over some sterno cans and then pouring that into the main tank. The smaller of the tanks seemingly had some warm spots. Since that's generally my "toss" tank for plants it seems the mass of plants trapped some warmer water in the middle where the other fish were hanging out.

Temps had dipped down to low/mid 60s but it's good to know those temps are survivable for the fish. I'm not sure if I'm going to have any latent mortality as everything needs to cycle again, so I'll need to keep on top of the water changes for a bit.

-
    S

7. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    One Step at a Time...

Hi S,

I have heard of Discus Fish surviving into the 55F range, would not want to test it.:(

I will assume you are not feeding them and will avoid jumping the temperature too much at a time.:gw

The real test may come after things get back to “normal.”

I suspect there immune systems will be compromised for some time.

Do you mind sharing where you are?
    :confused:

I seem to recall your mentioning it, but, well, of all the things I have had and lost it, is my mind, I miss the most.
    :eek:

Biollante

8. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The tank location will generally hold at 50 or so during the winter without needing the heat too much. After the storm it was holding around there so that would have been my worst case scenario. Still, I'm glad I didn't have to find out. I'm near Worcester MA. There's still whole swaths of people without power this way and I can only imagine how much worse off they are by now. If it weren't for the leaves on the trees this storm wouldn't even have been noticed up here.

I haven't fed them yet and probably won't until temps start hitting normal. I've only got ~2 Watts per Gallon on the heating side, so it'll take a bit for things to catch up.

-
    S

9. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Easy Does It

Hi S,

I am glad you have your power back!:gw:cool:

Even at 2-watts per gallon, be careful about raising the temperature too quickly.

5 or 6F a day is plenty, there is a lot of complicated stuff going on and bringing everything back slowly is the best way for everyone to catch up.:)

Good luck,
    Biollante

10. quatermass

quatermass Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Just get yourself a car power inverter unit, about 300W rating.

This can supply your aquarium equipment with 300W+ of electrical power for many hours if you link it to your car/van, battery etc.

I use the following circuit myself for keeping my tanks going for ~6 hours via a battery I keep charged in the home. But if you have a mains extension lead going to the car you can keep it going for much, much longer.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/DIY_Emergency_Power_Backup