This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on CO2 Degassing and Nighttime Aeration

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Asmack Arabia, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    3:42 PM
    Hello,

I would like to have air flow through my AM 1000 at night to increase the oxygen content of the water. But does this leads to co2 degassing as well? And which is more important co2 degassing at nighttime aeration? I am planning to install an aqua medic reducing tee and have an air pump flow through the co2 reactor. I read about this from an old post of Tom Barr. But I am concerned if the air check valve can handle the water pressure.

I hope you can take the time to explain these things to me.

Appreciate all your replies.

Thank you.

2. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    sorry. i meant "And which is more important co2 degassing OR nighttime aeration? "

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plants do not use CO2 at night, so if it degasses, then that is good. Less tress on fish/livestock.

You can add it anywhere pretty much.

Depends on the check valve really.

4. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    thanks for the reply Tom. because i am choosing between using an water pump near the surface to increase turbulence (w/c leads to co2 degassing) or using the method i described earlier to increase oxygen content.

5. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I have a similar question about this too, when i measure pH 4 hours after CO2 is turned of, the swing is not yet completed, in fact, the swing is completed almost 24 hours later when the last 0,1-0,2 degrees go up again,
    Is it supposed to happen since a less concentration is harder to get rid of than a higher one or is it a signal of better surface movement?
    The thing is, CO2 turns of 1 hour before lights and by the time lights get off, pH gets up something like 0,2 values, so i dont know what to think in here.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar question about this too, when i measure pH 4 hours after CO2 is turned of, the swing is not yet completed, in fact, the swing is completed almost 24 hours later when the last 0,1-0,2 degrees go up again,
    Is it supposed to happen since a less concentration is harder to get rid of than a higher one or is it a signal of better surface movement?
    The thing is, CO2 turns of 1 hour before lights and by the time lights get off, pH gets up something like 0,2 values, so i dont know what to think in here.

6. Vazkez

Vazkez Junior Poster

Local Time:

Hello,

If I understand right.... First question. How Tom said during the night all life stock using O2 and CO2 is produced. That's why it's take slower to get remove (if you do not use air supplement ofc). With the PH question. Because your light is on your plants still using CO2 which left in water. Your PH going up due to the CO2 use. More CO2 = less PH and less CO2 = higher PH.

Hope it's explained.

Vaz

7. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I forgot the fact that during night plants release co2,
    But the rest i knew :)

8. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    my main goal in posting this thread is i want to know if the plants are going to grow better if they have increased oxygen content in their environment at night? i read somewhere that Mr. Amano is doing this on his tanks.

9. Aquaticz

Aquaticz New Member

Local Time:
    7:42 AM
    I am no Amano but I added a air stone on a timer for night time about 2 weeks. I like it because I have panda cores and since they come from rivers I figure more oxygen would replicate what happens naturally in nature. I know from previous experience, in breeding them that they also like a power head to play in the currents. The bonus - The bubbles keep the water at the top real clean :)

First post here- Aquaticz

New club = SCUBA

- - - Updated - - -

I am no Amano but I added a air stone on a timer for night time about 2 weeks. I like it because I have panda cores and since they come from rivers I figure more oxygen would replicate what happens naturally in nature. I know from previous experience, in breeding them that they also like a power head to play in the currents. The bonus - The bubbles keep the water at the top real clean :)

First post here- Aquaticz

New club = SCUBA

10. pmgsr

pmgsr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Tom is certainly going to read this, but as far as i can remember i read on one Barr Report (Oxygen) that Plants use little O2 compared to fish. So, if you were going to need an airstone at night for your plants to grow better in the day time, your fish would all be death by then.
    Since i read this i never thought of using an air-stone at night.
    (of course this needs dependes on your fish - i'm speacking strictly about plants demands!)

Pedro.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom is certainly going to read this, but as far as i can remember i read on one Barr Report (Oxygen) that Plants use little O2 compared to fish. So, if you were going to need an airstone at night for your plants to grow better in the day time, your fish would all be death by then.
    Since i read this i never thought of using an air-stone at night.
    (of course this needs dependes on your fish - i'm speacking strictly about plants demands!)

Pedro.

11. aamir9110

aamir9110 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Airstone at night

Airstone at night is a perfectly great idea.

As long as you are 1. not using CO2 at night ( there is no logic to doing that), 2. not needing to use the airstone during day since you should have enough surface agitation, you should have no problems and your fish would thank you.

3. just go on and set up a wet-dry. you wont need an airstone :wink-new:

12. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I use mine all the time, since i got no surface agitation by the filter intake,
    since im waiting my koralia nano 240 to arrive, im betting on it to give me a nice agitation without the rain-inside-the-house noise lol

- - - Updated - - -

I use mine all the time, since i got no surface agitation by the filter intake,
    since im waiting my koralia nano 240 to arrive, im betting on it to give me a nice agitation without the rain-inside-the-house noise lol

13. milesm

milesm Prolific Poster

Local Time:
  14. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    I was contemplating using an O2 tank during non-CO2 hours via a 3-way solenoid valve. When the solenoid turns off, it simultaneously opens up the second inlet allowing gas to pass through. But I'm not absolutely certain adding extra O2 at night is really necessary.

Where did you hear/read that Amano adds O2 at night?

15. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Oxygen's main benefactors are bacteria and livestock. Its not worth adding if you got some sort of surface agitation or a wet/dry.

I would add air not O2 if you go the route of a solenoid. Make sure the solenoid is explosion proof if you do add O2.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

16. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    I've found that my CO2 degases much more overnight as my water level drops and I get more agitation.

Weather or not my Air pump comes on at night makes a slight difference, but not nearly as much.

Whiskey

17. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I just added a surface skimmer intake to my canister to get rid of a surface film layer. Between eliminating the film, and maybe some additional agitation in the skimmer, I find I'm offgassing more CO2 overnight. pH drop for me now is 0.6-0.8 by morning, where it was only 0.2-0.4 before the skimmer. Yes, I had to bump up the CO2 rate during the day to get to the same level I had before, but no big whoop. I'm sure there is an improvement in oxygenation also.

18. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    I haven't actually read it from an Amano newsletter or something. I read it from another site and it's not 02 he's adding, just using additional aeration at night.

i think now, what i am getting from you guys is that nighttime aeration is not really necessary. and for co2 degassing, surface agitation is the way to go.

i guess it would be better getting those poppy type output lily pipes. i might lose some co2 during daytime because of increased surface agitation but co2 level would be more stable and co2 degassing would be increased at night.

19. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Since O2 benefits most of the organisms in the tank, especially the microorganisms, a higher concentration would be better. But I remember Tom mentioning that at a certain point, excess O2 is toxic. Was it 30%? That's not possible with just surface agitation or airstones. But I'm wondering if adding pure O2 into the reactor could make that possible.