Questions for excel users

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I am presently dosing 2x Excel or about 1 ppm Glut daily to my planted tank to control BBA on hardscape. My low light plants (Anubias, Java Fern, Buce and Bolbitis) were free of BBA even without excel because I have been dosing CO2.

Based on my literature research, 1 ppm Glut is adequate to inhibit two types of algae.

Algal inhibition Selenastrum subcapitata IC50=1 to 1.8 mg/L

96h algal growth inhibition Scenedesmus subspicatus EC50 = 0.9 mg/L

But I want to try Vals and Moss, and read that they are sensitive to Excel. How sensitive are they with reference to ppm level of Glut. So my bottom line question is: Will Vals or Moss thrive at 1 ppm Glut dosed daily?

Jul 17, 2017
Ontario
I've been dosing just over 1x excel 6 days/wk with the recommend double dose on water change day. I have corkscrew Valisneria americana that I acclimated by gradually increasing Excel dose. I also have wild V. americana that I plunked in with no acclimation. Both have done fine but I don't have a control comparison. I can't say what would happen with a constant double dose.

I have a few different mosses that have done fine but again, no comparison no Excel treatment.

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
I've used double the recommended dose of excel with several different mosses without any adverse effects whatsoever.

emily6

Junior Poster
Dec 30, 2011
Arlington, MA
Be careful with the java ferns- I'm not sure what the sensitivity threshold is but I sprayed mine with Excel once to knock back algae and it killed them (I knew this from years ago but forgot). The moss underneath them seemed to do ok, though.