Questions about growing staurogyne repens emersed

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
How long does it take for a staurogyne repens cuttings from a tank to acclimate and start growing emersed? I've heard it grows faster emersed and I'm considering a dry start on my next tank. I'm just curious of what I need to take some cuttings and grow them emersed to get a head start on things. How long will it will take to start growing emersed leaves, get established, etc. What kind of humidity does it need etc?

fjf888

Guru Class Expert
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
I'm growing it dry start right now, and have been doing so for about the past 5 to 6 weeks, along with the lilaeopsis, using a product similar to ADA aquasoil from Mr. Aqua.

I haven't found the growth of the stauro particularly fast, although that might be due to the fact I'm not using a terribly high amount of light on it either. I found it adapts easily. At this point the leaves do have a more elongated shape than those I have in the submersed setup, but it took a while for the plant to look much different from is submersed form.

I use a spray bottle and mist every 2-4 days. I am also using a 50/50 led light that I was using with a previous saltwater setup. so I'm not generating a lot heat either. I keep the tank sealed using cling wrap. The tank is sloped toward the front, so the front of the tank has a very low level of water, when that goes down a bit is when I mist.

The lilaeopsis on the other hand is taking off via runners and is spreading rapidly, but it looked very ragged at first and then recovered. The staurogyne always looked good.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
fjf888;68341 said:
I'm growing it dry start right now, and have been doing so for about the past 5 to 6 weeks, along with the lilaeopsis, using a product similar to ADA aquasoil from Mr. Aqua.

I haven't found the growth of the stauro particularly fast, although that might be due to the fact I'm not using a terribly high amount of light on it either. I found it adapts easily. At this point the leaves do have a more elongated shape than those I have in the submersed setup, but it took a while for the plant to look much different from is submersed form.

I use a spray bottle and mist every 2-4 days. I am also using a 50/50 led light that I was using with a previous saltwater setup. so I'm not generating a lot heat either. I keep the tank sealed using cling wrap. The tank is sloped toward the front, so the front of the tank has a very low level of water, when that goes down a bit is when I mist.

The lilaeopsis on the other hand is taking off via runners and is spreading rapidly, but it looked very ragged at first and then recovered. The staurogyne always looked good.

How wet are you keeping the substrate? I've seen mixed info on that. I've seen some people put enough water in that you could see it above the substrate and some that are just keeping it wet but not above the substrate. Hmm... I'm planning to try growing it outdoors in a container to keep the humidity in or in a spare tank I have with T5 lighting. I've read some info on how to grow emersed plants, just wondered what people's experience with staurogyne had been like. Thanks.

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
With DSM you should not have water pooling above the substrate. Keep the water level below the surface. Maintaining humidity is important.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
ShadowMac;68343 said:
With DSM you should not have water pooling above the substrate. Keep the water level below the surface. Maintaining humidity is important.

Thanks what I was thinking and had intended on going with. Thanks.