This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about DIY Reactor builds

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by ShadowMac, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:11 PM
    Hello, thought I'd ask folks here a few things I was wondering about the DIY CO2 reactor builds and if some added features would be beneficial or even possible.

Many of the PVC tube designs seem fairly simple, although some add lots of added piping/tubing. I'm assuming this adds to the head pressure and can reduce pump output. Is there anyway of knowing how much? When I've run a reactor in the past I was always concerned about loss of flow through the filter due to the head pressure (cerges reactor). How much of an issue is this?

Second question, in order to improve dissolution rates, could you in theory add a circulation loop with an independent pump aimed at increasing agitation within the chamber. For example a loop with a needle wheel pump where CO2 is injected into the pump feed and fed from and back into the reaction chamber. Would this have any impact on the pump/filter feeding the reactor?

Would it be possible to add a booster pump to compensate for head pressure on the return end? Would this damage the canister filter feeding it? I'm assuming you'd have to match flows...this is probably problematic when you have a canister filter that can have flow rate impacted by clogging over time.

It seems to me the cerges design has the most head pressure since it has the most 90 deg angles. Aquariumplants.com has a nice cerges design they call the carbon doser with an internal circulation pump, which is a great addition. I've used it and liked it. But in trying to get every bit of flow through my canister filter I wonder if the feature of a circulation pump could be integrated into the tube design which to me looks like it would have less head pressure due to less angles.

Any thoughts on great reactor builds or improvements to existing builds would be great. Thanks.

2. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'm no pro on this stuff so I'm experimenting myself at the Moment to get the best results but with a sump and not a canister for me after trying various designs for a canister inline all based on cerges version 2 in my build thread gave the best results.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/articles-aa/219617-how-to-build-a-cerges-co2-reactor

For my sump version I've just taken the same reactor but hard plumbed it with a dedicated needle wheel pump and returned it back into the sump for the main return pump to feed it back to the tank, before I used a normal pump and it took 90 mins to reach a 1 pH drop with the needle wheel , slightly more powerful it now takes 60 mins to reach the 1 pH drop.

If its the flow rate and/or the needle wheel that's made a difference I'm not sure but it's a positive results for me :)

3. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Some quick shots to give you an idea of what's going on

zRpjdTQ.jpg

And the co2 feed before the intake of the pump

yfvh2xr.jpg

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    thanks Jason. Yeah a sump would make things less complicated for me. However the cabinet was not built to accommodate one and they honestly make me nervous....aaaaand I like my lily pipes :p

I think if I want to keep a canister. A custom build with a top mounted pump driving the canister deals with the backup within the filter better than the typical lid/pump combination that is in basically all canister filters. You could then, I'm assuming, put an identical pump on the return end of the custom reactor to feed back into the tank. This would make zero flow loss due to added head pressure from the reactor? Just some thoughts I've played around with in my head. I really think there are some design options possible but aren't really available on the planted tank side of things in terms of reactors and canister filter all in ones. Designing them to work together would provide advantages, I'd think