Question regarding pH, KH, and pH down...

snytiger_92

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2005
If I add "pH Down" (supposed to be phosphate free) to decrease my pH for my apistogrammas, what does that substance do to the ph/KH chart for determing the amount of CO2 present in my tank? The pH comes down, but not because of CO2 - is this correct?
I have not added any yet. I am trying to research a little first. :)

Thanks!

brad

Prolific Poster
Aug 2, 2005
Re: Question regarding pH, KH, and pH down...

You`ll spend a fortune in ph adjusters. What`s your ph and what apistos do you have? Some do quite well in higher ph`s than people think.

A better long term solution would be to use ro water.

snytiger_92

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2005

I keep A. cacatuoides. The pH fluctuates between 6.4-7.2 - depending on how long my DIY CO2 has been running.

I do use R/O water. The pH of that water is 6.2 or so. That is why I ask. Also, I wanted to know, does water with a very low pH just have more CO2? The KH of my tank right now is 2.0. The pH is 6.2. The chart says that I have apporximately 38 ppm CO2. So, if I add "ph Down" (or peat moss, etc.), will that also add more CO2 to the water?

Thanks! :)

brad

Prolific Poster
Aug 2, 2005

that 38 ppm will gas off and you`ll se your ph rise. No, tinkering with ph does not add co2. peat lowers ph by lowering kh. your`s is already pretty low. You should be careful adding co2 with a kh of 2.

Your ph is absolutely fine for Cacatuoides. Mine have bred and raised fry in 8.2.

I tried everything to get my ph down too. Purchased RO water from the grocery store, pretreated my water with peat. Peat filtration........The unstable conditions it was causing was more the issue for the apistos. Once i gave up, fry starting coming every couple of weeks.

snytiger_92

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2005

Cool, Brad. I'll relax a little. My pH is fairly stable. I have DIY CO2 - which is not powerful enough to cause problems - even with the low KH.

I need more CO2 - I still battle mild cases of BGA and it is getting annoying, but that is another thread!
D