Question on lightning with CF bulbs

Smiley

Junior Poster
Dec 16, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum, although I have been reading it for quite a while now as it has loads of good info. Despite this I have a question I'd like to ask regarding lightning and hopefully you could help me decide.
First some info from me:
14 gallon tank (54 liters) 60x30x30 open top
Power Sand and Aquasoil Amazonia substrate
Hagen Aquaclear 150 hang on filter
Lightning: 2x26w 6500 CF bulbs (but not the spiral ones) on for 8 hours per day, reflectors included.
CO2 injection from Aquatic Nature 1bps for now, no fish yet.
The tank is almost 1 month old and I started dosing ADA step 2 (I couldn't find step 1 but it seems the additional Fe isn't encouraging any algae) and some k2so4 (will change to brighty k in January when I'll be able to purchase it from my local store).
As for plants I have: Rotala Rotundifolia, Ludwigia Inclinata, Pogostemon Helferi, HC, Eleocharis parvula, Proserpinaca Palustris, Java Moss and some other fast growing plants for the start up.
Regarding my question. I was wondering if the light I have now is strong enough, as my Rotala is growing extremely fast but is not that red and it doesn't seem too bushy. Also, HC had a foliage loss (could be due to its emerse form) but is creeping, although pretty slow. I was thinking of adding another 26 w bulb but was unsure if this would be wise, since it was a hassle to prevent algae (the AS was leeching tons of nutrients and had to do daily WC for 3 weeks) and would not want to unbalance what I achieved until now. Also, with all the water changes there is practically no PO4 and NO3 stays at 5 ppm. So do you think that it would improve the adding of another light bulb or would it just make my life more complicated? I don't mind complications, as long as my lovely plants are happy :)
Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Dana

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Dana,

I think you have enough, maybe too much light already....I would NOT add another bulb. Remember that it is a small tank and with the reflectors are giving it a lot of light.

Most plants do not need as much light as we think.

I am not familiar with the c02 setup you mention. I will google. Found the site, but which model do you have????

Light is what drives plant growth and nutrient demand. Carbon is one of the most vital nutrients and has an effect on the uptake of other nutes.

I think your c02 and macro/micros may be too low for the light levels you have currently. Your high light is driving a high nutrient DEMAND and I bet your c02 and macro/micros are limiting.

This is causing the poor growth/color, NOT insufficient light.

Do you use a drop checker to help determine c02 levels? Can you elaborate on the c02 setup you have while I search?

Are you doing any regular water changes?

Have you thought about the EI dosing strategy using dry ferts? Is much less expensive and EZ to do! Your liquid ferts are mostly water with some fertilizer added, so not much value....

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiley

Junior Poster
Dec 16, 2009
Bucharest, Romania
Hello Gerry, thank you for the answer.
I should have posted a link to the product, it is basically a pressurized co2 system that includes a regulator, magnetic valve, co2 bottle, bubble counter, safety valve and a diffuser that I placed below the outflow of the filter for better distribution. The link is this http://www.aquatic-nature.be/2eng_co2.html it's the proffesional kit. I don't have a drop cheker although I was thinking of geting one, but I have a co2 test and from my testings it doesn't go beyond 30 ppm, it is regulary between 24-30 ppm. The plants pearl like crazy by early evening.
From what you are saying I believe that you are right about an imbalance, as I said PO4 is 0 because I don't have fish yet (NO2 at 0.5 still so I'm waiting). For 3 weeks I made 50% water changes daily and now, on the 4th week I'm doing them twice a week letting the nitrogen cicle take it's cours for a change. I also forgot to mention I use excel 2 ml daily (not sure if it had anything to do with the lack of algae but if it did I'm grateful, first tank with no algae issues.. yet). My concern with the light was due to the fact that rotala, although not leggy, is growing incredibly fast (3 trims so far), reaching for the light and with only a hue of redness in the leaves. Also the leaves seem a bit too long as I see them (hmm too many concerns right?). I also remember an article on the net that was reffering to the fact that smaller tanks need more light than bigger ones and if I remember correct, a 14 gallon tank should be iluminated with 72w, that is if you want a heavy planted tank. There are so many opinions though, that one gets confused, especially with all the w per gallon rule or lumen per gallon and so on.
I was also thinking of adding a bit of macros until fish and invertebrates can be safely added, would it be a good idea considering the tank is very new? (the ADA NPK formula)
As for the EI method I haven't given it a try because I was really curious about the ADA line, seen it used so much in the AGA contest. I read about EI and PPS and I will definetely give them a try on the new tank I'll work on soon, or if I don't get good results with ADA, but I was just too curious about the line so I wanted to try it on this tank.
Least but not last, if any spelling mistakes occur or some questions about certain abreviations, please bare with me, it's not my first language, I'll try to express myself better and learn them as I go along :)

Thanks!

Regards,
Dana

Last edited by a moderator: