This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question for people with lots of surface agitation or wet/dry's

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Whiskey, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    2:37 AM
    Hello all!

I was curious how many bubbles per min people with lots of surface agitation or wet dry sumps are running?

I have a tank with my fluval return rippling the surface of the water and I'm finding that to keep levels in the 25-30 ppm range, I'm needing something like 240 BPM. When it gets this high do you use some other measurement method to make things easier?

Thank you,
    Whiskey

2. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    The bpm or bps is not a fixed number. Each tank is different. What counts is your carbonate hardness and pH. There is an online table that shows these two values and where they intersect, gives you the CO2 concentration. So if you need a pH and Kh test kit to determine this. The result is a estimation of how much CO2 is in your water. So if your CO2 is low, then you increase your bpm slowly and keep a close watch on your fish. If you see them at the surface gasping for air, then you are dosing too much CO2.
    The online table can be found on this forum under the topic "CO2 Enrichment".
    You are also working against yourself by having strong surface movement. This drives off the CO2. Look for ways to submerge your Fluval discharge so that there is a minimum amount of surface movement.
    I do not use a sump. Those that do will have to chime in on that subject.

3. rbarn

rbarn Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Reduce your surface agitation. You're basically trying to pour water into a sieve.

You need to find the balance that keeps the fish happy but agitates the water as little as possible. Slow changes and patience is the key.

There are more precise flow gauges though. Mass flow controller/gauges are the supreme, but there are also simple flow meters designed for gasses

#3 rbarn, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    you can compared rates, but use mls per 5 minutes.

So you invert a measuring cup or something with mls marks on it.
    Then bubble the CO2 into this under water and then measure the mls fills up after 5 minutes.
    This standardizes the rate of CO2 regardless of bubble sizes or other errors.

Say you change out your CO2 system and go from a junky Chinese system to a nice USA made dual stage SS.
    The CO2 rate was pretty good before, but you want to get it really really close to what it was with the old regulator and valve.
    The inverted mls method works beautifully and it matches the same pH drop and end point in 3 tanks I tried this on.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    you can compared rates, but use mls per 5 minutes.

So you invert a measuring cup or something with mls marks on it.
    Then bubble the CO2 into this under water and then measure the mls fills up after 5 minutes.
    This standardizes the rate of CO2 regardless of bubble sizes or other errors.

Say you change out your CO2 system and go from a junky Chinese system to a nice USA made dual stage SS.
    The CO2 rate was pretty good before, but you want to get it really really close to what it was with the old regulator and valve.
    The inverted mls method works beautifully and it matches the same pH drop and end point in 3 tanks I tried this on.

6. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    That is brilliant! A very elegant solution to the problem - and a accurate measure of how much CO2 is being released. Thank you for the idea!

Whiskey