This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Wet's dosing calculator

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by heel4you, May 26, 2015.

1. heel4you

heel4you Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:09 PM
    Hello,

First of all RIP peace Mr. Wet. God speed.

I am trying to figure out how to use the calculator.

When is states:

To reach your target of 0.5 ppm Fe you will need to add 4 mL Flourish Iron to your 24.0 US gal aquarium to yield .50 of Fe.

Dose these levels 2-4 times a week for EI.

Now, if I understand this correctly, my target for the week is .50.

So, if I dose 4mL of Seachem Flourish iron daily, would this give me .50 of iron?

I cannot find out how much ppm's of iron is in 4ml's of Flourish Iron to figure this out :/

Or I could just be misunderstanding how to use this calculator. If I am, could someone explain. I am new to this :)

Thanks for any and all help!

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    That's 0.5ppm per dose. That concentration assumes high light, heavily planted tank. If it's neither, then that's not the dosing regime you should use.

3. JacksonL

JacksonL Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can you still access the calculator anywhere?

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
  5. heel4you

heel4you Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Solcielo lawrencia,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a 29 gallon tank. I have calculated my water displacement to come out to be around 24 gallons.

30 x 18 x 12

I have a new Finnex fugeray planted plus 30 inch over the tank for a month.

No lid.

My water parameters checked weekly  usually are:

PH - 6.8-6.4

KH - 5-7

GH - 7-8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrite - 20-40ppm

Phosphate - .25-.50ppm

TDS - 210

Fish 7:

5 serpea tetras

1 small loach

1 blue gouromi

Approx. Plants:

x 1 amazon sword (medium)

x 1 marble queen radican sword(medium)

x 2 Bacopa Australis (small)

x 2 Limnophilia Aromatica (small)

x1 Rotala Macrandra giant Red (small)

x 1 Heteranthera Zosterfolia (Star grass) (tiny)

x 2 Staurogyne Repens (Tropica 049)(small)

x 2  Staurogyne sp Porto Velho (small)

x 1 Lobelia Cardinalis dwarf form(small)

x 2 Rotala Colorata (small)

x 1 golf ball sized Round pelia (süßwassertang)

x 4 Crypt Wenditi green (small)

x 1 Rotala ceylon(small)

x 1 Rotala nanjenshan(small)

x 1 Rotala enie(small)

x 1 Hygro foreground

x 1 Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia(small)

x 1 lobelia cardinalis

X 1needle leaf java fern

x 1Anubias nana

x 2 golf ball size christmas moss

I know this seems like alot of plants, but I did have alot die and some are rebounding now since I purchased the new light about 2 weeks ago.

I am currently using:

Seachem Flourish products:

Excel, potassium, Nitrogen, iron and Flourish. I am not using Phosphorus because my phosphate usually run .25-.50ppm weekly in my tank at testing.

I know this seems like alot of plants, but I had alot of die off and some are rebounding since I purchased the new light a month ago.

I am using:

Seachem Flourish products: Excel, potassium, Nitrogen, iron and Flourish. I am not currently using Phosphorus because my phosphates are .25 to .50 every week during my water tests. I am afraid to over dose.

I really have no clue what I am doing. I have read alot, but most of it goes over my head. I am just testing as I go along every 2 weeks. Looking at my plants and trying to figure out their needs.

I am mostly going off the dosing chart I got off Seachems.com site and dosing per the bottles instructions.

Also, I would like to change to dry ferts in the near future. I realize that this would save me alot of money too. But, this would be another learning experience!!

Many people are extremely gifted, educated and smart when it comes to this planted tanks (they were once newbies too), but when it comes down to explaining it to newbies now , like me, they cannot "strip" the language down for beginners. I am not a "dummy" by no means, but I wish someone could or would write a guide for "The dummies guide for the planted aquarium". I would not be offended by the title...LOL

Or just answering simple questions in a simple fashion would suffice.

Leaving a question with open options (what are the other dosing regimes?) and not saying what the options are is not really answering the question fully.

Anyway, I was hoping that using Wet's calculator could help me in my dosing.

I hope someone can answer my original posted question in simple terms that will lead me in the right direction. After all this should be a fun hobby. It gets very frustrating when you can't find the answers, can't get any answers or a straight answer.

Thank you

6. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    You're using Excel, so dosing should not be full EI (the high light, heavily planted, CO2-added regime.) Start off with the minimum amount necessary and observe plants. If there are deficiencies noticed, fertilize more. You may want to calculate how much of each nutrient in ppm you are adding with each dose. This allows you to know how much your tank needs. It also lets us know what you're dosing because most of us don't use branded fertz and don't know the concentration. 1 capful of X is meaningless but 5ppm of NO3 is readily understood.

7. heel4you

heel4you Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Solcielo lawrencia,

Thank you for the reply.

What kind of unbranded ferts would you recommed?

As I stated above, I would like to switch to dry ferts, mix them in my own bottles and dose this way. It has to be less expensive than buying each fert by the bottle.

At this time, I would like to continue to use Excel. I have just purchased a gallon of Metrex Metricide 14 and plan on mixing it like Excel.

While I do know that Co2 would be a better option, the price of setup and me being nervous about using it with my fish are holding me back.

So, if I bought dry ferts to mix as liquids, what would you recommend and how would my dosing regime work with Excel?

Thank you very much!

8. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    You'll need a source for NPK and micros. The cheapest way to get that is:

CaNO3(2) - nitrogen, 2x the NO3 as KNO3 so you can add less, slightly cheaper ($2.50 vs. $3), and also provides some Ca

K2SO4 - potassium

KH2PO4 - phosphorus

CSM+B - all micronutrients

CaSO4 - calcium

MgSO4 - magnesium (grocery stores have this very cheap, labeled "Epsom Salt", 4lbs/<$5, non-fragrance kind)

Dose dry so there's no need to mix. You'll just need mini measuring spoons. Caution: actual volume of these spoons are highly variable and may not be a standard fraction of a teaspoon. Adjust dose according to the spoons you have, not what the manufacturer or other users states. You'll need to figure this out the volumes for yourself.

9. heel4you

heel4you Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Solcielo lawrencia,

Thank you so much.

This information is very exciting to me! This will save alot of money.

Last few questions:

Where would I buy the dry ferts? Do you just sprinkle them into the tank?

Would the fish think it's food and eat it? That's why I was thinking of mixing with distilled water to make them in liquid form.

and

How would I figure out the volume of dosing for each fert and a weekly dosing regimen for my 24 gallon tank? I don't want to kill my fish by overy dosing. Do I need certain test kits? I have phosphate and iron, along with the usual suspects..PH, ammonia etc.

This question brings me back to Wet's calculator and the 1st question I had asked.

If It says I have a target of say .50ppm of a fert, does this mean for the week? So, I am I correct in saying that I would need to spread my dosing out over the week to total .50ppm? Or is it .50ppm daily?

Also, I do 50% PWC every week.

Thank you so much for your patience!

10. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    You can find them cheap on eBay, AlphaChemicals.com, AquariumFertilizer.com, GreenLeafAquarium.com, BobsTropicals.com, etc. User Nilocg sells them in the Marketplace section, just PM him.

You just add it directly into the tank. Fish may try to eat it, but should spit it out. You can also place a fine mesh net into the tank and add the fertz into the net. It will dissolve out, then remove the net.

The nutrient calculators should be accurate so you can use those.

The 0.5ppm is per dose and you should add that 2-4x/week (according to YANC, but 4x is excessive amounts of Fe.) You shouldn't be adding 0.5ppm since most of it can't be used by the plants. It's better to add a little bit of Fe each day than to add a lot every 2-3 days. Fe is finicky in water, and quickly converts into a form that plants can't use.

11. heel4you

heel4you Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Solcielo lawrencia,

You have been extremely helpful to me and I really appreciate it.

Here I go, I hope my plants are ready...LOL