This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about trimming

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by catalyst, Apr 8, 2011.

1. catalyst

catalyst Junior Poster

I have a 6 foot 125 gallon tank and my vallisneria plants are laying on top of the water the entire length of the tank. It seems to be blocking a fair amount of light and its becoming a pain to feed and clean.

Can I trim this plant? If so should I be just taking some off the top or do I need to cut at the base?

2. Dabrits

Dabrits Fraud Reported

When my vals reached the top of the tank I cut them off at the top. Val won't repair its leaves. So I found that when I cut a leaf, that particular leaf stopped growing altogether. The other leaves would still grow like normal though. I'm no expert, but that's what I've done.

3. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I've done the same thing in the past!

4. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Vals should be trimmed regularly to the root as trimmed leaves won't grow and will decay and give you more work of cleaning debris later. Trimmed leaves, not growing, will also get ugly.

You should never let them all reach the surface as you now have to trim many at the same time, you should trim as they grow, part by part