This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about pruning

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jsrevenaugh, Oct 23, 2007.

1. jsrevenaugh

jsrevenaugh Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:19 PM
    After reading many posts about the importance of good circulation, I have a question. A corner of my tank is planted with Ludwigia Repens which has developed a dense network of root-like tendrils in the water. While the individual tendrils are thin, there are so many I that flow through the area is very slow.

So here's the question: can I prune those "tendrils?" Or will I kill the plants?

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:19 PM
    The tendrils are aerial roots, common to almost all stem plants. You can trim them, leave them alone, or prune off the rootless tops of the plants, discard the rooted bottoms and replant the tops. I think the mass of aerial roots eventually looks terrible so I always end up pruning and replanting the tops. That also gets rid of the by then leafless bottoms.