This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about proper Twinstar (Chihiros Doc / O3 generator) usage regarding O2 saturation

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by flippydoo87, Dec 16, 2017.

1. flippydoo87

flippydoo87 New Member

Local Time:
    1:16 PM
    Hello,

I have a 9g high-tech tank and a Chihiros Doctor rated for 3 sizes - under 60L (15g), 60L-90L, and 90L-120L. Obviously I'm using the lowest setting per the recommendations, but I wondered what would happen if I were to use the 60-90L setting. I am primarily using the device to increase O2 (using a canister and surface skimmer - not very high O2 saturation) and the tank is somewhat tall and narrow so there's not much surface area at the top of the water column to get good gas exchange. In Tom's Wallichi journal he mentions "if used correctly" these devices increase O2 something like 10-20%

Considering I have no critters in this tank, would using the higher setting be harming anything, or just adding slightly more O2? Or would too much be detrimental in some way, possibly to the beneficial bacteria in the filter?

I couldn't find much discussion about the benefit from using devices like this so any discussion about their use specifically for O2 would be fantastic. I am trying to stay ahead of some BGA creeping up around my foreground, it is taking 3-4 large water changes a week (Newish ADA soil) to keep it at bay - would increased O2 help keep this under control at all?

edit* Dosing modified EI because of new ADA soil and frequent water changes. About 2/3rds EI + extra scoops of NO3 and K after each water change. High on micros/iron.

#1 flippydoo87, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:16 PM
    NO3 levels are?

3. flippydoo87

flippydoo87 New Member

Local Time:
    1:16 PM
    edited main post to include dosing thanks!