This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about NO3 and algae

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by GillesF, Apr 7, 2011.

1. GillesF

GillesF Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:52 AM
    Hi guys

I have a question about Nitrate and algae. I know that fertilizers will not cause algae as long as your aquatic plants are growing well (no deficiencies). I also know that it is important to have a good balance between fertilizers, especially CO2 and light (which is not a fertilizer but rather an energy source).

But what happens if you have normal lighting and start (for some odd reason) adding CO2, NO3, ... WITHOUT any plants in your tank? What will happen with the fertilizers? Will they induce algae blooms?

Thanks for the help!

2. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Can't say I have tested it myself, but in theory nothing spectacular will happen. Algae already have non-limiting nutrients from your tapwater, therefore adding more doesnt make them grow faster or germinate :)

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Well, if the tap has has say 5ppom, then not much difference, but if the tap is like mine with zero NO3 and nice snow melt from a granite water shed? Then even a little can induce algae.

For our purposes as aquarist, limiting algae by nutrients is a tough battle to attempt.
    With or without plants.

4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Living in this imaginary world for a minute, I'd probably float some H. difformis/Wisteria in there and break off pieces as they became unwieldy. Maybe tuck some Hydrocotyle sp. or a pretty/twisty plant like HM or Rotala around the CO2 entry point if it's submerged. Easy stuff that's relatively low maint. Feed the fish to get fat because I'm already getting the two biggest macros for free.