This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about lighting

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by mexicatz, Sep 1, 2017.

1. mexicatz

mexicatz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:16 PM
    I received the par data from finnex for my planted plus at 13 inches which came in at 62 par. I use a piece of window screen to cut the par by about 40% based on others testing. This puts my par at about 37 at the substrate.

Some of the plants that I have in the 37 par are starting to grow algae while plants in the shade show no deficiencies or algae. I was wondering if it would be better to add another screen to cut the par to about 23 or if increasing my excel dosage to 1.5-2x would solve the problem. 37 par seems pretty close to the safe range to avoid algae with low light so I'm not sure.

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:16 PM
    How long is the photoperiod?

Cutting PAR in a low light tank will reduce algae.
    Is raising the light an option?
    Glut/excel is a decent algaecide too.

Ever considered adding CO2?

3. mexicatz

mexicatz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    the photo period is 6-6 1/2 hours and right now i've added the second piece of window screen so I think the par is around 22.
    I've looked at some led raisers that raise the light 3,4, or 6 inches but the par would be very close to what I can achieve with the window screen.

Do you think I should stay at the 22? or should I try 37 with 1.5-2x excel dosing

I've considered co2, but it probably wouldn't be a realistic option while I live with my parents.

4. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've always used Hoppy's ( @VaughnH ) reference for par values and if we need co2 based on that par.. low, medium, high light.

Here is a quote from Hoppy.

Off topic but it would be great if he wrote a updated version of his great lighting article here on the Barr report ;) hint hint :D

snarkingturtle likes this.
  5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I suggest considering this set-up/method: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/133058-diy-co2.html

No, I don't plan to update my lighting article in the near future. That was a lot of work, spread over a lot of weeks, and I don't collect lighting data for newer light fixtures now. I still think the basic facts in the article are correct, even if the charts of PAR for various types of lighting are obsolete.

I'm now pushing the idea of borrowing a PAR meter to get a relatively accurate reading of the actual PAR you have at the substrate, with your specific lighting and set-up. To make that easier I am loaning out a PAR meter at a reasonable cost - shipping and insurance only. See: https://barrreport.com/threads/apogee-par-meter-for-rent.14334/

Jason King, Christophe and burr740 like this.
Tags: