Quarantine procedures

Jose

Oct 22, 2017
Bay area ca
hello everyone, i was just wondering what everyone’s quarantine practices are. How long do you keep fish in qt, do you medicate, etc etc?

I know some people dont share equipment between main tank and qt tank, but is that really necessary?

Sarlindescent

Junior Poster
Jan 15, 2016
For me, the length of quarantine generally depends on how replaceable the fish in the tank are. For my altum angel tank, these fish are very difficult to replace. Thus, I had a 2 month quarantine on them and all stock kept with them. I will have the altums by themselves for another 2 months probably for growout purposes. I have mixed the other stock together to see how they react. With that said, if I were doing a tank of only 1 species of fish or of neon tetras or something I can buy everywhere, probably 2-4 weeks.

This last time, I employed a modified aquarium coop method, and it seems to be working well. First, I got the fish in for a few days fed up well. Then once everything seemed stable, I ran their med trio (general cure, ich x, and eurythromiasin???spelling). I fed lightly to not foul the water and left them for a week. Next, I did a big water change and resumed heavy feeding. After 2 weeks, I ran a levamisole treatment. My biggest concern with the stock I had was tapeworms. A month later, I ran a second round of the trio. At this point, everything seemed very healthy and no issues had displayed since the first treatment. Had an issue displayed, I would have direct targeted that and reset my clock. That last sentence is the most important. If issues arise with any fish, start the quarantine back at day one.

A lot of people don't like to preventative medicate and their are pluses and minuses to each method, but for me, I am going to run a somewhat heavily stocked tank with a 220 gallon system. It would be very difficult to remove a specific fish and costly to medicate the whole system. Again, if this were fish available everywhere and lets say a 40 gallon system, the cost and ease to medicate/replace sick fish is a completely different scenario.

Realistically, everyone has to decide for themselves what is sufficient for their stock and their scenario. From what I have heard, many professional aquariums quarantine for 6 months to 1 year+. Up until 8 months ago, I didn't quarantine. My husbandry was good at worst and I never had an issue....... Then I got an order of fish in and didn't inspect them well enough before throwing them in the tank while the lights were out and I was late to work.... Needless to say, I got an incurable disease in my tank that I'm 75% sure was fish TB, although no one was able to identify it. It effectively crashed the whole system and the fish that survived, I ended up having to euthanize as it wasn't worth risking new stock or giving them away and potentially spreading the disease. From now on, everything sees a quarantine.

Reactions: Jason King

Jose

Oct 22, 2017
Bay area ca
Ok, thanks for all that!!! My main tank is only 22 gal and my qt is a 6 gal. My stocking is light in the 22 gal (pair of gbr, 3 rummy nose, and 6 amanos) i bought 7 corydora habrosus and have been in the qt 1 week

Sarlindescent

Junior Poster
Jan 15, 2016
You're welcome. IMO, for that stock, I would do a 2-4 weeks qt with the med trio. All of those fish are readily available and not to expensive. If any were lost, the cost to replace isn't too bad.