Purigen - Life Span & When to discard

nwfishinfool

Prolific Poster
Jun 22, 2007
Seattle Washington
Does Purigen reach a point where it should be discarded?

I have been using some of my Purigen bags for 6 months plus. When I regenerate, the Purigen returns to the original color and looks brand new. Is there a point when it is no longer functioning as it should. If so, is there some condition I should watch for, discoloration, smell???

I do 50% water changes weekly, clean my XP3 and rotate the Purigen every 4 weeks. Aquarium water looks and smells great so I assume it is still filtering properly. I use Seachem prime for the water changes so I don't have to worry about my water conditioner fouling it.

I have looked at the Sechem literature and searched a couple forums. I believe it was on here that someone mentioned they dispose of it after "X" number of regeneration cycles.

It is so expensive and I am getting ready to set-up another tank so I don't want to be wasteful but want to make sure it is still working properly.

Any thoughts?

Mike

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I believe Seachem answered this question on one of the forums and said it could be regenerated 8 times. How many times you can regenerate may also depend on what and how much is being removed from your water.

Homer_Simpson

Prolific Poster
Oct 11, 2007
captain_bu;22865 said:
I believe Seachem answered this question on one of the forums and said it could be regenerated 8 times. How many times you can regenerate may also depend on what and how much is being removed from your water.

This is also my understanding. I believe Seachem also stated that the resin beads would reach a point where they would no longer regenerate after bleach treatment and would remain permanently stained brown. When this happens, you can be assured that the Purigen has reached its life expectancy and you will have no choice but to chuck out the Seachem Purigen insert and purchase another.

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I had another Purigen question. I just started using this about a week ago in my 50 gallon tank. I picked up 250 ml to try and the Sechem Bag to put it in. I used a quarter of the 250ml bottle which should give me more than the suggested dose of 1 ml per gallon. Can't say that I am yet seeing the amazing results everyone claims for this product. Any suggestions as to what constitutes a proper dose? It is expensive enough that it would be nice to find a good dose threshold instead of simply overdoing it.

nwfishinfool

Prolific Poster
Jun 22, 2007
Seattle Washington
Captain,

When I started using Purigen, my thought was, you don't get the maximum benefit if the water can flow around the media. I use an XP3 in my 26g tank and I cover the bottom of one of the media baskets with the Purigen so the flow has to go through the Purigen. I am using (4) 100ml bags. I know it is way more than Seachem suggests but I don't believe more is bad.... except for the wallet!

Mike

riverrat

Prolific Poster
Sep 6, 2005
You could use the whole 250 in a 50 gal. It will not hurt anything. The purigen will just last longer before you need to recharge it. I just put 200ml into my 2026 on my 30gal.

P.S. Over at The Planted Tank Forum - Powered by vBulletin there is a seachem sponser area if you want to ask a seachem rep. directly. I think they check that sight and answer questions that are posted.
There are already a few questions and answers about purigen there already.

Sorry but that thread is gone. Seachem must not sponser there anymore. ugh.... What I said above I have read from a seachem rep. before. Do not be afraid to use it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Just contact them directly.
It's a bit nutty to have them post on every forum that uses Purigen.

Regards,
Tom Barr

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the attempt at the link. I have already read everything Seachem has to say about Purigen on their sponsor forums and web site. Was mainly interested in how people here were using it. The suggestion to use more and have to regenerate it less often seems like a good one to try.