Purigen in Planted Tank

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Easier To Do Then Tell

Hi,

To recharge the Purigen I just use the label directions (more in a minute). :)

The color of new and recharged is pretty close. I just looked at some I have recharged a couple of times and some in the jar and I can definitely tell the difference, but both look good.

To be fair I do not use Purigen all of the time. I do not know how much difference it makes. :confused:

I have heard and seen a few remarks about what a pain recharging is and that there are other means to recharge, presumably they mean, better or more efficient, I have not done any experimenting or tried any alternate methods so I do not know anything about that. :p

I have not noticed any difference between new and recharged Purigen, both seem very effective to me, for whatever that may be worth... :D

To recharge Purigen:

1. in a Sterilite container, mix 1 part household bleach 5% (sodium hypochlorite):
    1 part tap waterI rinse it (in the bag) thoroughly under a strong tap
  2. plop the bag (kinda swish it around) into bleach solution, I put the cover on
  3. set the container aside for at least 24 hours
    1. (I like to swish the bag around a couple of times as I think about it)
  4. After 24-48 hours, I rinse the bag thoroughly under tap water
  5. in a Sterilite container, mix 2 tablespoons of your de-chlorinator
    1. (do not use any de-chlorinator with “slime” guards or “slime coat” stuff)
    2. (I use Sodium bisulfate, NaHSO4 as my de-chlorinator)
  6. plop the bag (kinda swish it around), I put the cover on
  7. set the container aside for at least 8 hours
    1. ( I like to swish the bag around a couple of times as I think about it)
    2. (usually I just leave it till the next day)
  8. quick rinse in filtered water (the same stuff I use for water changes), distilled water would be okay.
  9. in a Sterilite container, mix 1 tablespoon of sodium bisulfate per cup of filtered or distilled water soak 4 hours
    1. (Seachem recommends, “Discus Buffer,” “Neutral Regulator” or “Acid Buffer,” I do not know what “Discus Buffer,” or “Neutral Regulator”)
    2. (I would make a guess that “Acid Buffer” is sodium bisulfate or at least a close relative. sodium bisulfate has always worked for me.)

After writing all of this I can tell you it is easier to do then to tell. :rolleyes:

Biollante

anda

Junior Poster
Jul 17, 2010
Montreal
I find that a 1/3 ratio of bleach works as well. I guess you may need to increase the ratio over time. I do it without mesuring...

The procedure Biollante described is the same I do and honestly it is not time consuming at all. It takes 5 minutes X 2 over 2 days...

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
On my 125Ltr, heavily stocked I find that a 100ml bag lasts 2 to 3 months. I have 2 bags and just swap the clean one in if necessary at filter cleaning time (checked monthly)

On the recharging process. I don't do what the instructions say these days. not exactly. I do the : bleach for a day, then the heavy dechlor for a day and then another 2 days in some vinegar to return the Ph.

Make sure that any bag that has already been used is stored in liquid or humidity. Seachem say the miniature balls will crack if they dry out once used.

Poster earlier is right r.e. leeching. they won't, they adsborb not absorb. Thats what the bleach is for. You have to 'burn' the crap off the surface rather than wash it out of the ball.

As for the 'up to 8 recharges' I just keep recharging until I can see that 'uber clarity' wane. Once you've seen how the clarity is with Purigen it is pretty noticeable when it returns to just 'super clear' :D

AC

engine50

Junior Poster
May 17, 2009
FL
Purigen in my IMO is , as many aquatic adsorbent, absorbents an additive that:

1. Doesn't quite work as claimed, amount / gallonage / bioload etc.

2. It is, even when the manufacture is questioned, not exactly pinpoint on how much and of what it does or does not remove.

3. I used it for MONTHS straight with no decernable plant growth issues. EI dosing.

4. I don't use it at all now, no algae issues, no nutient issues, etc.. my water is slightly more cloudy when look down the tank length. Then again I don't use UV either. 52 water changes a year.

5. I would probably use it again, if I was "showing off" the tank for some special occasion. It does create gin clear water.

6. Never had the patience to recharge....go ahead fire away, (just donned the flack jacket).

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks Biollante. This is very helpful I go after the bleach and sodium bisulfate as soon as possible.
I guess a any kind of plastic container will do.

Greetings Dirk

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
A Glass Jar Will Work

dbazuin;56861 said:
Thanks Biollante. This is very helpful I go after the bleach and sodium bisulfate as soon as possible.
I guess a any kind of plastic container will do.
Greetings Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Any plastic or glass container, a jar will do nicely. :)

Biollante

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Ok I have found the dutch name for sodium bisulfate.
Looks like it is easy enough to get.

I have four bags van I recharge all four at the same time and keep two of them standby for a week or six?
Or is it best to recharge close before use?

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
engine50;56857 said:
go ahead fire away, (just donned the flack jacket).

Not at all. As you state it is gin clear. Its what you want, so if you want 'gin clear' its a good product, if you're not so bothered then it's not a problem.

The main reason many started using it was its ammonia removal abilities. With amonia being the 'algae trigger' then it is another weapon in the armoury, after all we then add Pot nit in for the N source which it doesn't remove.

However no good in non CO2 tanks if you're not fertilising. Thats why I haven't used it for a year in my non CO2, non fert setup. Now I'm back to CO2 and ferts then its back in the filter.

For the poster above. Recharge them when you like however store the recharged spares in water. The manufacturer states that the little balls can crack if they dry after being used.

Not sure what the sodium bisulfate is for. If for a buffer to restore the Ph, just use vinegar. Seachem have stated vinegar is fine and its cheaper than Ph buffers.

AC