This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Purigen filtration question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Lightt, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:24 PM
    Hello,

What do you think about seachem purigen ;

I v seen some hobbyists using it at planted tanks.

And if someone uses it and there is no nitrate production because purigen controls ammonia, then what should we do; Increasing our nitrogen-kno3 dose; I used this product for a while at the past and i remember my nitrates were near zero. So , if we have a heavily planted tank and use this product, how we deal with nitrogen;

Thank you in advance

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:24 PM
    Ive been using it for maybe six months in a couple of tanks. From a visual standpoint cant tell much difference really.

3. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    And what about nitrates which tend to zero;

4. pablo12345678

pablo12345678 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I use for heavy tannin stain. Works very well. That's only difference I notice.

I heard it reduce dissolve organics also but is not miracle cure.

5. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am using it 2 days now because i have problem with nitrates, probably ammonia from substrate. Seems to work, i am counting for about 5 nitrates. But my question is, do the plants starve ; Shall i increase my kno3 dosages;

6. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Purigen only removes organics which if left turns to ammonia and then nitrates.

It does not really absorb any ammonia directly. But it is know to absorb some trace elements.

if you are dosing kno3, purigen wont take it out. But if you were counting on bacteria to provide nitrates then you might be short. I would recommend putting Purigen after bio filteration so you still get nitrates from nitrogen cycle and any organics that did not get converted gets absorbed by Purigen.

7. Lightt

Lightt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have purigen after bio media and before wool. So i have 1 box with my blue sponge , 2 boxes filled with bio media and last box has purigen and wool.

I am using nitrogen seachem for now to add nitrates. But i am still counting for about 0 at the end of my photo period. If i remove it , i have problems probably from substrate with nitrates going over 20 in few days.

So this is why i am afraid about starving plants and cyanobacteria issues.

In conclusion, this ammonia control with purigen seems to help a lot controlling filamentous diatoms which are my main issue at this tank..

4 ml nitrogen per day is like 3,3 no3. Should i double this dose to 8ml;

Thank you

8. kb27973

kb27973 Guest

Local Time:
    2:24 PM
    Makes my water crystal clear. I just wish it was cheaper. Haven't tried to regen it.

9. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I would want to know what nitrogen level was on last day of week before water change day.

If nitrogen levels were between 10 and 40 ppm in planted tank I would not worry bout it.

If the nitrogen level was lower than 10 ppm by week's end,then I might add a bit more KNO3 to get to 10 to 20 ppm by week's end.

KNO3 is inorganic so purigen should have little effect on it,only affect's organic matter .

For what it's worth,uncalibrated API nitrogen test show's my low tech tank's at nearly 80 ppm by week's end so...I just put away the nitrogen test and feed fish well.