Pumps Position in a Filter System Close Loop

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I have a Blue Line 55 HD 1100gph Pump an a canister filter Nu-Clear 533 , 547 for my 110g Tank Close Loop System.
Now in your OP:
Where is the best Pumps Position in a Filter System.

1. Dose it go Before the System so to PUSH the water threw the filter or

2. Dose it go at the end of the System to PULL the water threw the filter

In number 2 . Would work best for a Wet-Dry System you would need to Pull the water threw the filter an back to the Tank.

I need your Advise as to Why which Position would be Best to use!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ink,

The NC are designed to have water PUSHED through them. IMO/IME I would use the pump to push the water.

A wet/dry pump should PULL the water from the sump and return to the tank. If you have a wet/dry you may have a sump so you pull from the sump back to the tank.

Hope this helps.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Thanks Gerryd !
I was just trying to explane it in another forum about the position of a external pump! The person would not except that you would run a pump first inline with a OC or NC canister filter .

:D

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ink,

Just ask them how efficient their filters would be if the pump were AFTER it. Only the gravity feed of the intake would PUSH into the NC or OC and that would be insfficient.

Not saying it won't work, but it is not how I would do it.

I can name at least 10 users on this site with OC or NC and I think we all have the pump first.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
And I think if you went to every major pump manufacturer they would state the same. Their pumps are designed to push water, not pull it. I do know of a few that are specifically designed to pull water over greater distances though. Most come with instructions to place the pump as close as possible to the intake with as few bends as possible, with a minimum drop distance from intake to pump.

But for our applications external pumps (even Mags) are designed to push water.

Canisters are even this way. They just rely on a large cavity of water to draw from. They loose their effeciency due to friction loss pulling water through filter media.

I wouldn't dream of installing a pump to draw water through a NC or OC. Thats just not how pumps are designed.

Go to Iwaki America, Blueline, Mag, Reeflo, etc. And look at thier installation instructions.