This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pumice Stone and Ferts

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by SingAlongWithTsing, Jul 26, 2017.

1. SingAlongWithTsing

SingAlongWithTsing Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:57 AM
    so my current set up is a 135 gal with a 55 gal sump. pumice stone being the main bio media in the sump (for the past 3 months?).

i'm wondering if this could potentially have any negative effects on my plants since the pumice is in the sump where the roots obviously cant reach? something along the lines of ferts being stored into the pumice before a majority of it is consumed by the plants. most of my plants are doing alright but i'm wondering if i'm dumping more ferts than i need to cuz of the pumice.

guess my 2nd question if it's possible for w/e nutrients stored in the pumice to give high nutrients readings, e.g. nitrates being 80+ ppm, 5+ ppm phosphate.

this is my current dosing regime:
    [​IMG]

it never really came a cross my mind til i saw this bonsai article comparing different substrates:

http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/soils2.html

2. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:57 PM
    I would think your plants would absorb the nutrients well before they sat around long enough to get absorbed by the pumice. Plus at some point the pumice will become saturated so it won't be an issue, I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest keep on keeping on sir.

SingAlongWithTsing likes this.