This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pull the plug on CO2?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by edwardsmith, Oct 9, 2017.

1. edwardsmith

edwardsmith Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:25 AM
    First thanks for everyone's help: https://barrreport.com/threads/it%C2%92s-been-a-very-long-road-and-could-really-use-your-help%C2%85%C2%85.14195/#post-141196

I decided to take a much more low maintenance approach to my system. This is what I have as of now:
    • 210g tank (72x25x30)
    • Lighting: LED, 8hrs a day. Par 350 mid-center tank. Water clear and no algae, can dial it up as much as I want.
    • Circulation: Maxspect Gyre XF150
    • UV: Vecton-6 V2 600
    • Soil: ADA AS
    • Filtration: Air-tight sump with multiple layers of Poret foam, bio-ball trickle chamber, and polyfill polisher.
    • Water changes: 20% Water change every night (combo RO/Well water) resulting in dKH 8.5
    • Planted with easy low maintenance plants (ie. Tiger Lily, Pogostemon Quadrifolius, leopard-vallisneria-jungle-val, Ludwigia sp Rubin, cryptocoryne-green-gecko, etc...)
    So the question I need help with:
    I already own the CO2 tank, dual gauge, diffuser setup and controllable by pH probe but..............do I want to turn it on? It's off right now and have good growth. Plant colors are "ok".

I'll can turn on, but to what advantage? Don't really need more growth. Not looking to plant more challenging plants. The only value I can tell, would be better plant colors? Not sure if it's worth it, considering possible failure points, expense and maintenance?

If plant color would significantly improve, then it might be worth it?

If that's the only value, is there a better and easier way (dosing Excel frequently?).

Thanks for any advice!

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Is that 350 PAR measured at the substrate surface? If so, you really have way more light than those plants need. If you start adding CO2 to the tank the plants will grow faster, needing more nutrients, needing pruning more often. I don't think those particular plants would become more colorful, but they might. Why are you using so much light?

Tim Harrison likes this.
  3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Member

Local Time:
    You don't have to go with full on injection, lime green drop checker. There is a middle ground. You could inject just enough to turn the drop checker green. That way you get a slow burner; still relatively low maintenance but with the benefits of some additional carbon. And it'll definitely be cheaper that dosing LC. Obviously, this works better with "easy - medium" difficulty plants.

4. edwardsmith

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tim, that helps.
    What would the benefits be? Less algae issues, better color, health?
    Since we're talking just "some additional carbon", is there an alternative, like adding a liquid substituent (I could always put it on a timed dosing pump that I already own)?
    Just looking for the best approach for the least maintenance and points of failure.
    Thanks!

5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Member

Local Time:
    You could dose liquid carbon, but injecting gas would be more effective and work out cheaper. The main benefit would be healthier plants. A reduction in light intensity will be your best ally against algae, and will help reduce maintenance. Check out George Farmer's Slow Burner https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/na-65cm-slow-burner.37285/

edwardsmith likes this.
  6. edwardsmith

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My apologies, the PAR is 350 at max brightness in the center of the tank, but only for an hour a day, otherwise it ramps up over several hours and then ramps down (sunrise/sunset).

7. edwardsmith

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    TY!

Tags: