Pruning Without Doing a Water Change Afterwards

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I saw Tom mention this in another thread:

Tom Barr;124429 said:
I'm interested in things that Hobbyists actually do on a routine basis.
The uprooting and trimming without a good post water change seems to have the most effect.
Not on any green algae, but on BBA.

I'd have a tiny bit on the wood, a thumb nail took care of it once a month.
This time after NOT doing the water changes after the trim(been about 10 days etc), but doing a fair amount of uprooting and trimming, the BBA is aggressive.
I'm not going to keep doing this. I'll do a large water change AM, add some Excel and kill it back good, do another water change after 3 days or so and then 2x a week like before and do the trims that night before or right before the water changes.
I do not want to trash the tank, but I do want to see if some habits aquarist do can cause BBA independent of good cO2 and ferts, light etc.

I'm not going to change any of the dosing or light/CO2, and see how the recovery is.
If things are fine thereafter, then I'm pretty certain the DOC from trimming and uprooting is a cause, while the general notion of DOC is supported, but not plant trimmings, or soil additions etc.

Something about uprooting plants, trimming them and not following up with a good water change.

This is an interesting finding that I'll be checking out as well. I have had the habit of casually fiddling around in the tank and trimming a bit here and there throughout the week while keeping with the once-a-week 50% water change. I do have a bit of BBA. Not huge, but it is present. I'll try to keep hands off, touching the tank only before the water change & see if that's part of why it's showing up.

Anyone else have this same habit, and want to give this a try? Report your experience here!

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
As I wrote on your mentioned thread above, I always trimmed my plants before a water change, but I recall a couple of times when I messed up a little bit with the landscape, and so some debris went around the tank, without having a water change after that, and after a couple of days some algae appeared. Just a coincidence? I don't think so otherwise I wouldn't remember it so well after 4 years! And after that experience I never did it again because I was afraid to cause algae again.

AaronT

Jul 29, 2013
I suspect this is because uprooting plants inevitably pulls up mulm i.e. organics out of the substrate and the TOC of the water column goes up. Doing a large water change negates this.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I think topping and mild trimming does no harm, it's when you do more dutch style trimming etc which involved uprooting and replanting the tops.

AaronT

Jul 29, 2013
Tom Barr;124545 said:
I think topping and mild trimming does no harm, it's when you do more dutch style trimming etc which involved uprooting and replanting the tops.

Yes, it's the uprooting that requires a water change.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Barr;124545 said:

Yes, it's the uprooting that requires a water change.

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Tom Barr;124545 said:

And that's where I might be causing a problem -- doing things out of order. Changing water, THEN doing the trim & replant with my stems. Or even draining the water, trim & replant with the water level lower, then refilling.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Barr;124545 said:

And that's where I might be causing a problem -- doing things out of order. Changing water, THEN doing the trim & replant with my stems. Or even draining the water, trim & replant with the water level lower, then refilling.

ForTheHalibut

Oct 12, 2017
New York, NY
Can confirm. Back when I kept sunfish, any aquascaping activity that stirred up mulm would lead to small BBA outbreaks. I can stir up as much water as I like in my low-stock tanks without having to worry about BBA, so long as I avoid dirt cap breach.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Note, when you pull up a lot of gunk from sediments like ADA AS, soil DIY etc, MTS......older Sand sediments, sediments with Jobes sticks or balls added...........then the O2 ppm drops quickly.
Water change fixes that, cleans the tank up etc.

But............if you cannot change or do not for some reason, add peroxide in lieu.
It'll oxidize the detritus and add O2, kill algae spores to some degree as well.
Glut/Excel will help as well.

Now you can do those things in conjunction with a water change also............but ...........

I sometimes trim, move things around at night, then water change the following morning early.
No issues there.