This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Without Doing a Water Change Afterwards

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Christophe, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:11 AM
    I saw Tom mention this in another thread:

This is an interesting finding that I'll be checking out as well. I have had the habit of casually fiddling around in the tank and trimming a bit here and there throughout the week while keeping with the once-a-week 50% water change. I do have a bit of BBA. Not huge, but it is present. I'll try to keep hands off, touching the tank only before the water change & see if that's part of why it's showing up.

Anyone else have this same habit, and want to give this a try? Report your experience here!

2. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    4:11 PM
    As I wrote on your mentioned thread above, I always trimmed my plants before a water change, but I recall a couple of times when I messed up a little bit with the landscape, and so some debris went around the tank, without having a water change after that, and after a couple of days some algae appeared. Just a coincidence? I don't think so otherwise I wouldn't remember it so well after 4 years! And after that experience I never did it again because I was afraid to cause algae again.

3. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    I suspect this is because uprooting plants inevitably pulls up mulm i.e. organics out of the substrate and the TOC of the water column goes up. Doing a large water change negates this.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I think topping and mild trimming does no harm, it's when you do more dutch style trimming etc which involved uprooting and replanting the tops.

5. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    Yes, it's the uprooting that requires a water change.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's the uprooting that requires a water change.

6. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    And that's where I might be causing a problem -- doing things out of order. Changing water, THEN doing the trim & replant with my stems. Or even draining the water, trim & replant with the water level lower, then refilling.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's where I might be causing a problem -- doing things out of order. Changing water, THEN doing the trim & replant with my stems. Or even draining the water, trim & replant with the water level lower, then refilling.

7. dbot

dbot Member

Local Time:
    man there's an order to this stuff?? maybe that's part of my problem

8. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    7:11 PM
    Can confirm. Back when I kept sunfish, any aquascaping activity that stirred up mulm would lead to small BBA outbreaks. I can stir up as much water as I like in my low-stock tanks without having to worry about BBA, so long as I avoid dirt cap breach.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Note, when you pull up a lot of gunk from sediments like ADA AS, soil DIY etc, MTS......older Sand sediments, sediments with Jobes sticks or balls added...........then the O2 ppm drops quickly.
    Water change fixes that, cleans the tank up etc.

But............if you cannot change or do not for some reason, add peroxide in lieu.
    It'll oxidize the detritus and add O2, kill algae spores to some degree as well.
    Glut/Excel will help as well.

Now you can do those things in conjunction with a water change also............but ...........

I sometimes trim, move things around at night, then water change the following morning early.
    No issues there.