Pruning the lawn, how Hc responds after.....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is what that HC lawn looks like about 4-5 weeks later after a mean mow/pruning:

HCpruning4weekslater.jpg

Now a few weeks ago, it was this:

HChackedback80liters.jpg

Here's another example of over growth and trimming:

resized70galADAwith1.5wgal.jpg

to this:

resized120907.jpg

Pruning can really affect things...........

But these methods are actually easier than you think and much less labor than replanting and while many hate the trimmed appearance, the result a few weeks later is well worth it.

I find after 1 -2 weeks at most, most plants respond and look much better, then they grow in even better and look super for many weeks thereafter.

Being careful and trimming well to start with is a key part of this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Reactions: nguyenkhanhninh

adechazal

Prolific Poster
May 7, 2007
Rochester, Michigan
Pruning vallisneria

Tom & team, any advice on pruning vals? I have tried cutting the tops off at an angle (so it doesn't look blunt) but I find that once done, the leaf growth seems to stop or slow significantly. Should I just remove the entire leaf on vals?
Aaron

atrixnet

Prolific Poster
Feb 5, 2007
TX, US
Uhhhh, embarrassing newb question here: what is HC?

And what are the plants shown in the photo I duplicated and placed inline below? Specifically, what is the plant circled in red? What is the plant circled in blue? What is the light circled in green?

And do I see a water return splashing into the tank from the top right rear corner? Surface agitation? I've yet to get a good answer on that topic from other posts I've made in other threads =(

resized70galADAwith1.5wgal.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Googling HC aquatic plant:
HC aquatic plant - Google Search

Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba"

We have an acronym listing here(eg search for it, it's along involved listing, but google works well/sometimes faster if you simply add Aquatic plant etc after the term).
Sometimes we get into the "plant speak" mode a bit much.

The plants are Rotala "green", the red is the Xmas moss, maybe taiwan moss etc.
Archaea is the brand name, it's a 2x 54 T5 light.

The only in flow is seen on the left of the phot.
There's some movement, not a lot really for a 70 gallon tank.
There's not many fish nor anything of size either though........

Vals do not respond well to pruning like this.
They grow from the base and do not form the same type of side shoots as many stem plants do. I use other plants of shorter varieties instead.

Regards,
Tom Barr

atrixnet

Prolific Poster
Feb 5, 2007
TX, US
Tom Barr;21609 said:
Googling HC aquatic plant:
HC aquatic plant - Google Search

Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba"

We have an acronym listing here(eg search for it, it's along involved listing, but google works well/sometimes faster if you simply add Aquatic plant etc after the term).
Thanks for the tip.
Sometimes we get into the "plant speak" mode a bit much.
I would think it strange if that wasn't the case.

Thank you for identifying the plants. Do you like that Archaea light, or Archaea lights in particular?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's just a brand that Aqua Forest happens to import and adds their own label(Archaea) to.

T5 light, electronic ballast etc.

Simple light.

I use all PC or else HQI MH's with Electronic ballast.
I think T5's are nice and better option for most folks than PC, namely due to better spread and configuration, less more appropriate intensity for planted tanks.

Eg, that's a 108 w and looks and works well for a 70 gallon tank.
I'd have 2x 150 W+ 70W HQI MH over the same length.

But I adjust lighting other ways and do not suggest other folks to do this.

The topic is really just show folks how to mow their Gloss, HC, or hairgrass lawns and not to pull everything up, the roots/stubs etc will grow back rather fast, when you uproot, then the plants have to add roots to their list of growing parts, so they can devote more to the leaves, and it's easier in general.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
Eleocharis is a good plant to demonstrate agressive trimming on:

PICT0008-2.jpg

PICT0010-2.jpg

And some weeks after (Time for another trim soon)

250L070813.jpg

If trimming is not done often enough, the the runners will rot, and turn brown, grow too high up and it will look like this some time after a trim. Notice the
PICT0003-1.jpg

Nice pics for the HC Tom - i never dared to prune it so agressive... I will now.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Anti-Pjerrot,

for some time I had the lily pipe and intake mounted the exact same way in the rear like you did (shown on last pic) until I placed it the Amano way to the left pane 1/3 away from the front glass. Current benefitted a lot as did the spread of the misted CO2 bubbles! Same applies for the Eheim elbow I reckon. Just a thought......

You can grow hair grass amazingly well (pic #3). Any stats for Ca and Mg?

Thanks, Detlef

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, hair grass is exactly like lawn grass, it does much better mowed.

Looks better etc.
Loves good CO2 etc.

I do not think you will find much correlation with Ca/Mg and hair grass, it grows very well in both super soft and rock hard waters.

Sediments never mattered much, it did supper with plain sand and RFUG's, Cat litter, flourite and ADA AS etc.

Good light/CO2 seemed much more critical.

That browning is not due to a lack of pruning really, rather, more than likely some nutrient/CO2 issue, I've had it really fill in and pack itself silly in tanks going back well over 10 years.

I think maybe organic build up might cause it also.
So cleaning the sediment every so often might help.
I vac the grass lightly anyway.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Reactions: Mooner

dealt

Prolific Poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hi. How about E. Tenellus, how do you trim them? Do you just cut across the long thin leaves? Thanks!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, mow it!

The roots, root crowns and runners will sprout new growth.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
Tom Barr;21622 said:
I think maybe organic build up might cause it also.
So cleaning the sediment every so often might help.
I vac the grass lightly anyway.

Regards,
Tom Barr

You might be right about that - I have never vac'ed the lawn proper - thou i might should...

As to Ca/Mg - i got rock hard tab water - gH is 18dH (mostly Ca).

I dose EI and theres some Tropica Aquacare Substrate under the sand.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
A couple of folks have used the Tropica line exclusively(micro and the macro) and the ADA AS with very good results.

But with plain sand.........you'll want somewhat richer levels.

Regards,
Tom Barr

helgymatt

Guru Class Expert
Sep 17, 2007
Ok, maybe I missed this, but what is an easy way to hack back HC? Any how do you clean up the mess?

ir0n_ma1den

Prolific Poster
Oct 8, 2007
NoVA
I have the same question as Helgymatt, how do you exactly prune HC as it is basically an intertwined mat of delicate plants?

thanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Just like you do hair grass.
I trim, then net out the left overs,.

Gardening takes time and work.

As the scale of a tank is small, you need to spend the same amounts of time relatively as a normal sized garden in many cases.

You are not cutting one stem at time at first, you are mowing, then take care of the scragglers.

Regards,
Tom Barr

willbldrco

Junior Poster
Jan 22, 2008
Hi Tom,

I'm curious on your mowing technique. Are you using any sort of bent scissor or are you dropping your whole arm in the tank to get the blades of straight scissors parallel to the substrate for a good, close trim?

Then there is the post-mow clean up: Are you just whipping a net around the tank to catch clippings for a 1/2 hour or so?

You know, someone should invent an underwater Flobie! We could attach it to a siphon and take care of the mowing and clipping clean up in one step. :)

Will

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Will,

Not Tom of course, but..

I personally use straight scissors and get my hand/arm as level as possible. Is why it takes a few tries :)

I trim while the tank is drained for my large water change. This way the cutting simply float to the surface and are easily netted out. I trim, net, repeat.

This technique works for most trimming.....I never do it while the filters/pumps are running...why clog the filters?

Hope this helps.

kiddjam

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hi Tom!!

I just come across this post by googling about how to maintain the HC(Hemianthus Callitrichoides) in a long run!! here is you thread...!! but I still don't find the specific answer regarding what I want to know in the progress.......which is very important since maintain a healthy aquarium is not easy and can go wrong if one factor is neglected.....

Step you will go thru planting HC:
1> Fresh just bought home HC, planted in tank successfully;
2> HC grow/spread to become a beautiful mat/carpet;
3> Soon after HC grow too thick, stem grows staight toward surface;
4> HC need to be trimmed to stay short.....
now what happen to step 5? Are you gonna just keep trimming/pruning the HC mat/carpet? won't the root of trimmed off HC just die and rot? and most importantly, Will it last forever if I trim it to keep it stay low? of course in the optimal grow condition where fert and light and co2 is sufficient by use of EI method.

I am no advanced-brain in plants maintenance knowledge, seriously, I even have my Anubias die from disease, please bear with my golden-retriever-level-knowledge..... :) thanks!

Regards
BB