This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning stem/bunched plant question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rharlow, Feb 4, 2008.

1. rharlow

rharlow Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:20 AM
    Is there a specific way to prune "stem/bunched" plants. I have a Cabomba carolina and a Rotalla wallichii that are about to hit the surface, so I will need to prune them in the near future. Since this is the first time I'm not sure where to cut them. Do I just cut part-way down the stem? Thanks!!

Chip

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you want to remove and discard the rooted bases, just trim where you get the length of plants you want. If you want to keep the bases and discard the tops, trim where you want new shoots to start growing. You can trim where ever you wish.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Try cutting them to form a bowl shape, the new shoots will come in equally(fairly so) and form a nice set of new growth that looks nice.

I typically pull the bunches up, hack off 3-6 inches and replant with these species.
    You can top the plants and leave the stems in place, replanting the tops somewhere else also. Some sell/trade/donate the tops.

If you want a nice mound or shape to the grouping, topping the plants and letting the old bottom stems grow out is a good method.

If you have algae etc, I'll general discard the older stuff, replanting only the new tops.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. adechazal

adechazal Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Lifespan of pruned plant?

The question I have always had is, if I keep replanting the top of a plant will it live indefinitely or does the time come when the plant will die of old age so to speak? I have heard that if you keep cutting the top off a stem plant, the remaining base will eventually die but I don't know if this is true.

5. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have experienced this. I've kept Cabomba various times and used the topping method. Eventually they all die off. The funny thing is that they all grow great at the start. Coincidentally, I always use them to start new tanks. Is it something I am doing as the tank matures? Or the topping method? Any insight on that, anyone?

6. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Anyone with an answer as to whether continuously topped plants will die off?

7. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I asked Tom that same question at a SAPS meeting about a year ago. He said there is no limit to how many times you can do this. We were discussing cloning of plants as I recall, and, of course, cuttings are clones of the original plant, so it is possible that everyone's plants of some species are clones of the original plant found deep in the jungles of "Where ever"!